Re: [ANE-2] Prof. James Mellaart- In Memoriam

  • David Hall
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 27, 2012
      Joe,

      I respect your contributions to the science of archaeology, your work in the Rockefeller Museum, and numerous posts to ANE-2.  I think Melaart deserves some praise.

      He studied proto-urban Neolithic and Chalcolithic sites in Asia Minor.  I have read some of his publications in a research library and can remember his documentation of the transition between gathering wild species of wheat to the domestication of wheat during Neolithic times.  He was a scientist accused of being involved with antiquity looters.  Most of his publication was from his own diggings and in depth research.  The publications I read did not rely on faked or stolen antiquities.

      David Q. Hall
      dqhall.com
      dqhall59.com

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 28, 2012
        I think that there is no question that James Mellaart’s early work was good, sound and useful. But from the “Dorak Affair” onwards his statements and writings took a very peculiar turn to the romantic and fantastic. It was shocking – and sad – to see his bizarre watercolors of supposedly lost Catal Huyuk paintings surface in textile magazines. Rather like seeing a beloved uncle succumb to dementia, aided and assisted by “New Age-y” types with a monetary interest in the associated topics.

        Trudy S. Kawami

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 29, 2012
          Without  a shadow of doubt Mellaart  deserves praise for his work at Catal Huyuk which is why I felt that his passing which seems to have gone unnoticed by
          many, should be noticed. He was well on his way to becoming one of the most important archaeologists of the 20Th century. However for those who followed his post 1962 career there were problems which made it difficult for Westerners to gain access to working in Turkey for a while. Along with Mellaarts deeds there was also a very well known American professor from one of the leading Theological Seminaries also held for smuggling antiquities who was held by local authorities until the East Coast university quietly bailed him out and tried to hush things up. There will be more on this  incident in the near future as it made difficult for westerners to work there.
          I, in fact, had been asked to serve as an anthropologist for a 30 day survey on horseback  in the Lake Van area, an area seldom visited by outsiders and it suddenly was cancelled for unclear reasons which may have been directly related to their activities.

           There are many parallels here today between the demise of Mellaart and  biblical scholars, from a handful of American universities posing as archaeologists, connected one way or another with dealers, collectors, including  'deals' with the haredim which have been the nemesis of archaeology for over 4 decades. When the haredim are now working closely together with film crews, giving  them 'cover'  one has to ask

          what has changed in the last 30 years which convinced the haredim to suddenly  provide  'cover'  with 'wanna be archaeologists'?  Was it the Jesus Family story, did the haredim now wish to prove Christianity, or is there more behind the change of heart which in time will emerge.
          For us directly involved there is a sense of deja vu here, Mellaart in Turkey and a handful of Westerners in Talpiot. It will end bad for all, however in today's 'biblical archaeology', time moves more slowly.
           Joe Zias www.joezias.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 29, 2012
            Melaart has been accused of fabricating a hoax about the 'Treasure of Dorak.'

            Artifacts reported to be from Hacilar acquired by a collector may have been bought from Melaart's workers seeking profit by stealing them, illegal digging after the British left the site, items from other illegal digs, or fakes sold in an antiquities shop in Istanbul.  As far as I have read, authorities did not find proof of his selling stolen antiquities, nor evidence to prove his story about the Dorak treasure.

            This is an interesting report about the Dorak story:

            http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0508/S00224.htm

            David Q. Hall
            dqhall.com
            dqhall59.com