Oldest Attestation at Babylon

  • Douglas Petrovich
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 21, 2012
      Dear List,

      The high water table at Babylon long has been a thorn in the flesh for doing excavation work at Babylon. In recent times, there have been other problems that would prevent digging there.

      I am wondering what is the oldest material to have come from Babylon, which would include unstratified pottery found during surface surveys. Before I start my own digging into sources, I am wondering if anyone can point in the right direction so that I will not waste too much energy in vain.

      And just to eliminate any unnecessary speculation, I do not believe whatsoever that “The Tower of Babel” was built there.

      Many thanks in advance,

      Doug Petrovich
      Toronto, Canada