Plants and Animals in Personal Names

  • Richard Whitekettle
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 20, 2012
      Does anyone know of a study that has gathered together plant and animal names that appear in personal or geographic names in the Hebrew Bible (though I'd also be interested in ANE data as well)?

      Thanks,
      Richard Whitekettle
      Dept of Religion
      Calvin College

    • Douglas Petrovich
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 21, 2012
        Dear List,

        The high water table at Babylon long has been a thorn in the flesh for doing excavation work at Babylon. In recent times, there have been other problems that would prevent digging there.

        I am wondering what is the oldest material to have come from Babylon, which would include unstratified pottery found during surface surveys. Before I start my own digging into sources, I am wondering if anyone can point in the right direction so that I will not waste too much energy in vain.

        And just to eliminate any unnecessary speculation, I do not believe whatsoever that “The Tower of Babel” was built there.

        Many thanks in advance,

        Doug Petrovich
        Toronto, Canada