RE: [ANE-2] Question about lawgiving

  • Yigal Levin
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 16, 2012
      Dear Simi,

      Thanks for your reply. I wanted to get as wide a perspective as possible,
      and have received quite a few interesting and useful answers, mostly
      off-list - and thanks to all who replied. Obviously I know who the people at
      Bar-Ilan who deal with these subjects are.

      Yigal Levin

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 17, 2012
        Gotcha. In that case, a few more titles:
        Hurowitz, Inu Anum Sirum
        Charpin, Hammurabi
        Charpin, Writing, Law etc.
        Finkelstein, The Ox That Gored
        Weinfeld, משפט וצדקה
        Wright, Inventing God's Law
        and the chapter on biblical law in Talshir, ספרות המקרא: מבואות ומחקרים, vol. 1.
        —————————————————————

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 17, 2012
          Btw, Yigal, in addition to Martha Roth's convenient edition of ANE law collections, Meir Malul now has one out in Hebrew (קובצי הדינים, הוצאת פרדס, 2010).
          Simi

        • Graham Hagens
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 20, 2012
            Keeping the perspective wide might also involve addressing the more complex question of the influence of  the Zoroastrian oral traditions on  Persian civic law.  The Zoroastrian religious laws which so influenced Judeo-Christianity were of course believed to have been dictated  to  Zoroaster by one of  Ahura Mazda's messengers,  Vohu Mana.

            Graham Hagens
            Hamilton, ON