Assistant Professor in Ancient Near Eastern History (Deadline September 1, 2012)

  • fdscalf
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 13 1:46 PM
      Assistant Professor in Ancient Near Eastern History

      The Oriental Institute and the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations of the University of Chicago invite applications for a tenure-track position as Assistant Professor in Ancient Near Eastern History with a starting date in Fall of 2013.

      Applicants must have the Ph.D. in hand before the appointment begins. The candidate should be a scholar of the pre-Islamic Near East who has synthetic research interests that address problems in ancient history. Demonstrated expertise in Aramaic language and texts is highly desirable.

      Scholars whose research concerns the first millennium BC and the early first millennium CE, and whose expertise is with Aramaic texts from that interval (including, but not limited to, Imperial Aramaic, Palestinian Aramaic, Palmyrene, Hatran, Syriac) are encouraged to apply.

      Applicants must upload a CV and cover letter and select three (3) referees to provide letters of recommendation to the University of Chicago's Academic Career Opportunities Website at http://tinyurl.com/brpoq9w

      Job posting number: 01256

      Review of applications will begin after September 1, 2012.

      Inquiries can be directed to oi-administration@... with the
      subject heading "Ancient History Search."

      The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer

      (Posted by Foy Scalf, Oriental Institute, scalffd@...)
    • Yigal Levin
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 15 4:17 AM
        Hello All,

        In the ANE, did kings who were considered to be lawgiviers (e.g. Hammurabi)
        usually claim that the laws were given to them by the gods, or did they
        usually claim that the gods gave them the authority to make laws? Can anyone
        point me to literature on the subject?

        Thank you,

        Dr. Yigal Levin

        The Israel and Golda Koschitzky

        Department of Jewish History

        Bar-Ilan University

        Ramat Gan. 52900

        ISRAEL

        <mailto:Yigal.Levin@...> Yigal.Levin@...

      • David Greenberg
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 16 2:12 PM
          The preamble to the Hammurabi laws will answer your question in relation to
          that set of laws. David Greenberg, Sociology Department, New York University

          On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 7:17 AM, Yigal Levin <yigal.levin@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hello All,
          >
          > In the ANE, did kings who were considered to be lawgiviers (e.g. Hammurabi)
          > usually claim that the laws were given to them by the gods, or did they
          > usually claim that the gods gave them the authority to make laws? Can
          > anyone
          > point me to literature on the subject?
          >
          > Thank you,
          >
          > Dr. Yigal Levin
          >
          > The Israel and Golda Koschitzky
          >
          > Department of Jewish History
          >
          > Bar-Ilan University
          >
          > Ramat Gan. 52900
          >
          > ISRAEL
          >
          > <mailto:Yigal.Levin@...> Yigal.Levin@...

        • Simeon Chavel
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 16 10:34 PM
            Yigal,
            In those royal texts, the king says the deities charged him with a variety of responsibilities and he fulfilled them. Those duties include doing justice, but the deities do not dictate the terms or transmit specific laws. Only in the HB does the deity dictate laws -- of course not to a king but to a prophet. Many have written on this comparison, from a variety of points of view, e.g. Greenberg, Paul, Weinfeld. At Bar Ilan, there is no reason not to consult colleagues in the Dept of Bible, e.g., Ed Greenstein.
            Simi
            ���������������������
            Simeon Chavel
            Assistant Professor of Hebrew Bible
            The University of Chicago Divinity School
            tel.: +1.773.702.6387
            AIM: simichavel / Skype: sbchavel
            http://divinity.uchicago.edu/faculty/chavel.shtml
            ���������������������

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 16 11:36 PM
              Dear Simi,

              Thanks for your reply. I wanted to get as wide a perspective as possible,
              and have received quite a few interesting and useful answers, mostly
              off-list - and thanks to all who replied. Obviously I know who the people at
              Bar-Ilan who deal with these subjects are.

              Yigal Levin

              ---------------------

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 17 12:17 AM
                Gotcha. In that case, a few more titles:
                Hurowitz, Inu Anum Sirum
                Charpin, Hammurabi
                Charpin, Writing, Law etc.
                Finkelstein, The Ox That Gored
                Weinfeld, משפט וצדקה
                Wright, Inventing God's Law
                and the chapter on biblical law in Talshir, ספרות המקרא: מבואות ומחקרים, vol. 1.
                —————————————————————

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 17 12:22 AM
                  Btw, Yigal, in addition to Martha Roth's convenient edition of ANE law collections, Meir Malul now has one out in Hebrew (קובצי הדינים, הוצאת פרדס, 2010).
                  Simi

                • Graham Hagens
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 20 8:26 AM
                    Keeping the perspective wide might also involve addressing the more complex question of the influence of  the Zoroastrian oral traditions on  Persian civic law.  The Zoroastrian religious laws which so influenced Judeo-Christianity were of course believed to have been dictated  to  Zoroaster by one of  Ahura Mazda's messengers,  Vohu Mana.

                    Graham Hagens
                    Hamilton, ON