Re: Proof of Samson and the lion

  • Graham Hagens
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 31, 2012
      ________________________________
      From: Yigal Levin <yigal.levin@...>
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, July 30, 2012 3:49 PM
      Subject: RE: [ANE-2] Re: Proof of Samson and the lion

        ... the area in which he grew up, Beth Shemesh, is coincidental, why is the city
      itself never mentioned in the story. Samson wanders between Zorah, Eshtaol,
      Timnah, the Sorek Valley and so on, all right around the city, but
      Beth-Shemesh itself in never mentioned. Even stranger than the non-mention
      of Sepphoris in the Gospels.

      why are either strange?
      why publicise a Shamash centre in a Yahwist tradition? Or mention a Roman economic hub at a time when the focus of the Judean church involved Jewish proselytization?

      Graham Hagens
      Hamilton
      .

    • Raz Kletter
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 1, 2012
        Thanks Iztick,
        I am not trying to portray wrongly, I am just not sure where you are
        heading. If you want to make an argument about the antiquity of the Samson
        legend, I doubt that this seal helps much, and I think it deserves healthy
        skepticism, like the Nemean myth.
        Mind that the lion-head you mentioned is late; the excavator did not
        try to push back a myth hundred of years earlier than its documentation,
        based on one find. Actually, he suggested that Nemea was related to a
        different origin-myth, while the lion-Heracles myth was associated with it
        very late.
        The Beth Shemesh seal alone does not prove literacy, as it could be an
        amulet, or used to mark ownership eg for pottery vessels. So a bullae of it
        would not be "better", unless if you can show that it was attached to
        writing material.
        What I meant about familiarity: it existed in all the periods we have
        mentioned; in each people could create such legend. Plus such legend could
        be transmitted with changes between periods, so "familiary" is not good for
        dating.
        Most of all, if one first reads this seal as "Samson related" (whether
        legend or flesh and blood), because of a wish to date Samson/Judges
        early; and then uses the same seal to interpret the Samson stories, we are
        in a circle.
        Eg Samson as eponym, king, or god of Beth Shemesh is assumed from the
        seal, since it was found at Beth Shemesh. But (if I recall right) biblical
        Samson came from Zor'ah? He was a hero, never mentioned in any context that
        can be seen as King/God/"Eponym".
        Best,
        Raz Kletter
        Helsinki university

      • Yigal Levin
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 1, 2012
          Because, Graham, the same Yahwistic tradition in 1 Sam. 6 assumes
          Beth-Shemesh to be an Israelite city with Levites residing in it, just as
          Josh. 21 says it is. And if the Yahwistic author was so concerned about
          Beth-Shemesh having been a center of Shamash worship, why ever mention it at
          all? And why name his character "Samson", which so clearly points to
          "Shamashism"? I don't think that that's the whole story. By the way, while
          Gaza, Ashkelon and Ashdod are mentioned in the Samson stories, the two major
          Philistine centers that are closest to Samson's home territory, Ekron and
          Gath, are also not mentioned.

          Another BTW; besides its name, which is recorded only in the Bible, there is
          absolutely no evidence that Beth Shemesh was specifically a center of
          Shamash worship. None of the handful of Late Bronze or Iron Age inscriptions
          found there hint at a Shamash cult, nor does anything else found at the site
          (so far: I recently read that some sort of cult room or "temple" from the
          Iron I was found there, but saw no mention of anything that looked like a
          Sun cult).

          Best,

          Yigal Levin

          Bar-Ilan University

          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 3, 2012
            Dear Yigal

            You seem to assume the existence of a single Yahwistic tradition

            The Samson passage is a version of universal story of a talented young man led astray by a pretty girl

            No one knows how old this story was when the Yahwists absorbed it into their complex weave of pseudo-historical morality tales.

            Because of the Samson/Shemesh/Shamash similarities it is possible to imagine the existence of an early Shamash cult at Beth Shemesh  at one time linked to an earlier  Samson story, which was later Yahwised and tranposed to a Philistine context.

            Unprovable of course, but that's beside the point, as is the absence of evidence of such a Shamash cult.

            If  a reasonable explanation for any event can be conjectured, then that event need no longer to be thought of as surprising

            Graham Hagens
            Hamilton, Ontario