Seeking help with a lexical text for students

  • larryjhs
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 27, 2012
      Hello there

      I've got a wonderful small group of Akkadian enthusiasts, and to give them the full experience of the Mesopotamian scholar's mindset, I'd like to read some bi-lingual lexical texts with them. I also think it a very good way to learn signs.

      There's a very clearly written text in Haupt HSKT 2 which is available at archive.org [See http://archive.org/details/akkadischeundsum00haup%5d

      The contents page ignores the first 45 or so pages of lexical texts, and HKL I is of no assistance. The text I am interested in begins on p. 9 'Zeichensammlung' I've spent some time with CAD and MSL, but without a K number, I am a bit at sea. All the texts are Haupt's copies from the BM.

      It begins
      ASH | ASH |e-du

      I am also seeing some TUTATI texts --any ideas?

      As a general point of interest, many of the very old 'Assyrian' textbooks, grammars and readers are freely available on the website (Delitzsch etc). Winckler has a copy of Old Babylonian (Sumerian) texts -- just the thing to read on the bus.

      The appended texts (often hand-copies, sometimes letter-type, demonstrate the level of skill demanded of the select few who studied with the masters though of course, we now understand the grammar of the languages much better. Despite that fact, they are fascinating reading with respect to the history of Semitic scholarship.

      Larry Stillman,
      Faculty of IT
      Monash University
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 27, 2012
        The edition of tu-ta-ti that I used in 1988 was

        Kizilyay, Hatice. 1959. Nach Vokalen geordneten Silbenlisten die Serie 'u-a-i'. Zwei altbabylonische Schulbuecher aus Nippur. Turk Tarih Kurumu Yayinlarindan 7/35: 59-63 [in Turkish].

        Perhaps there's a newer one by now.
        Jersey City

        >I've got a wonderful small group of Akkadian enthusiasts, and to give them the full experience of the Mesopotamian scholar's mindset, I'd like to read some bi-lingual lexical texts with them. I also think it a very good way to learn signs.
        >
        >There's a very clearly written text in Haupt HSKT 2 which is available at archive.org [See http://archive.org/details/akkadischeundsum00haup%5d
        >
        >The contents page ignores the first 45 or so pages of lexical texts, and HKL I is of no assistance. The text I am interested in begins on p. 9 'Zeichensammlung' I've spent some time with CAD and MSL, but without a K number, I am a bit at sea. All the texts are Haupt's copies from the BM.
        >
        >It begins
        >ASH | ASH |e-du
        >
        >I am also seeing some TUTATI texts --any ideas?
        >
        >As a general point of interest, many of the very old 'Assyrian' textbooks, grammars and readers are freely available on the website (Delitzsch etc). Winckler has a copy of Old Babylonian (Sumerian) texts -- just the thing to read on the bus.
        >
        >The appended texts (often hand-copies, sometimes letter-type, demonstrate the level of skill demanded of the select few who studied with the masters though of course, we now understand the grammar of the languages much better. Despite that fact, they are fascinating reading with respect to the history of Semitic scholarship.
        >
        >Larry Stillman,
        >Faculty of IT
        >Monash University

      • larryjhs
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 28, 2012
          Thanks Peter, but Kizilyay is not available to me (scan someone?).

          But for those interested in looking at the texts, see http://tinyurl.com/cepexpn , which is a list of tu-ta-ti texts in CDLI and these can be referenced back to the scholarly literature. The nice thing is that some of the copies by Langdon and others are appended to the photos.

          > For people who live near the South Pole who do not have easy access to a full library, CDLI is truly a gift of the gods (and scholars).

          But I would still appreciate advice from someone about the useful text in Haupt.

          Larry Stillman
          Faculty of IT
          Monash University