Re: [ANE-2] Nebra bronze disk

  • Robert Whiting
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2006
      On Wed, 3 May 2006, sacha.stern wrote:

      > I may have missed it, but has there been any discussion on this list
      > about the Bronze Age bronze disk from Nebra (near Berlin), supposedly
      > an astronomical device based on the same principles as MUL.APIN?

      Since the disk comes from Germany I don't believe that it has been
      discussed on either the old ANE or on ANE-2. It has been mentioned in
      Explorator several times but to my knowledge no direct connection with the
      ANE has been shown and there seems to be no particular connection with
      MUL.APIN (<http://www.geocities.com/astrologymulapin/>). Since the disk
      is dated to about 1600 BC and MUL.APIN is only known as a late compendium,
      any connection would be difficult to show. The disk's homepage (in
      German) can be found at <http://www.archlsa.de/sterne/>.

      More information in English can be found by googling "nebra bronze disk"
      (without the "").

      Interesting though it is, I can't see that there is any justification for
      discussing it on ANE-2 without some stronger connection with the ANE.

      Bob Whiting
      whiting@...