Recognizing Iron Age Israelite Settlements

  • zmbq
    Message 1 of 37 , Jul 13, 2012
      Hello all.

      Until recently I thought there was a rather certain method of detecting whether an iron-age settlement is Israelite or not, and that was the almost total absence of pig bones. It's been mentioned in many books, such as Faust's Israeli's Ethnogenesis, as well, as at least two of Finklestein's books.

      Lately, however, with the ongoing debate about the people who built the settlement found at Khirbet Qeyafa. There were no pig bones found in Khirbet Qeyafa, but this does not convince for example Finklestein or Neeman that this is an Israelite site.

      In addition, there were no pig bones found in LB and Iron 1 Bet Shemesh, and still the excavators believe this was a Caananite city and not an Israelite one.

      So my question is - without pig bones, how is it possible to tell a 11th century or 10th century Israelite city from a Caananite city?

      Itay Zandbank
      Israel
    • Diana Gainer
      Message 37 of 37 , Jul 20, 2012
        A better source of information on Paleolithic symbols -- not to mention more recent -- is the Bradshaw Foundation online.
        The results of Genevieve von Petzinger's 2009 analysis may be found there as well as pictorial examples of rock art from
        around the world for comparison.

        My own research indicates that of the symbols on the Dispilio tablet, most are virtually universal.  A few examples should
        suffice to demonstrate this.  The triangle appears as a symbol in early writing or proto-writing systems: Egyptian hieroglyphs,
        Old Chinese, Luwian hieroglyphs, proto-cuneiform, proto-Elamite, Cretan hieroglyphs, Indus "script," and in non-script symbol
        systems including native Texas, native Nevada, native Australia, and Pazyryk tamgas (ownership marks).  The same or
        similar distribution characterizes the cross or plus sign, the circled circle, the circled cross, the comb, the rake, the feather
        or grain ear, and the hash marks which may or may not be numerical.  Slightly less widespread are the open quandrangle, the
        "H" and "ladder" (similar to "H" but with three horizontals).  Another symbol resembling "M" skewered by a vertical is
        found in Old Chinese, in America (Texas and Nevada), Old Europe, and among Pazyryk tamgas.  My research has not yet
        incorporated African cave art, but I expect most of these (if not all) will find parallels there as well.  For example, the rake
        symbol resembles the East African Adinkra symbol named hwehwemudua.

        In other words, all over the world people marked objects with symbols whose purpose is not immediately clear to the naive
        viewer.  This does not automatically mean that all these marks are writing.

        Diana Gainer
        Greenville, TX
        (Texas A&M Commerce)