Protect Syria's Cultural Heritage

  • Jan Picton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2012
      BANEA has launched a petition seeking protection for Syria's cultural
      heritage.

      We hope you can sign it, support it and promote it through any contacts
      or avenues available to you.

      TEXT of the petition:
      Save Syria’s Cultural Heritage The worsening situation in Syria places
      thousands of archaeological sites in immediate danger of current and
      future looting. A full discussion of the sites affected can be found
      here: Cunliffe, Emma. 2012, Damage to the Soul: Syria’s Cultural
      Heritage in Conflict. 16 May 2012. Global Heritage Fund. The British
      Associate of Near Eastern Archaeology (BANEA) and other interested
      parties call on the British Government, UNESCO and the International
      Centre for the Study of the Preservation and Restoration of Cultural
      Property (ICCROM) to protest to all parties to the conflict and petition
      for: 1. The removal of armed encampments, troops and weaponry from
      archaeological sites, 2. protection of archaeological sites and museums
      from looting, 3. recovery of stolen artefacts and the prosecution of the
      thieves and those who benefit from the thefts. Updates and information
      can be found at www.banea.org

      http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Save_Syrias_Cultural_Heritage_1/?fPWGUcb
      &pv=1

      --