New Article in JHS

  • christophe.nihan@unil.ch
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 17, 2012
      Dear All,

      I am glad to announce the publication of a new article in
      the Journal of Hebrew Scriptures
      (http://www.jhsonline.org/index.html).

      Cynthia R. CHAPMAN, “ ‘Oh that you were like a brother
      to me, one who had nursed at my mother’s breasts.’
      Breast Milk as a Kinship-Forging Substance”

      Abstract: This article builds on the work of anthropologists
      who focus on milk kinship to demonstrate that biblical
      Hebrew narrative understands breast milk as a
      kinship-forging substance. The Bible presents breastfeeding
      as a process through which a mother or wet nurse confers
      upon an infant her own tribal identity and royal or priestly
      status. Breastfeeding narratives in the Bible bolster the
      hero’s royal or priestly credentials and establish his
      insider ethnicity.

      To access the article directly please go to

      http://www.jhsonline.org/JHS/Articles/article_169.pdf

      Also, I am glad to announce that JHS is now offering
      hypertext/ hyperlinked versions of all articles and reviews
      published from 1996 to 2009 (inclusive of 2009). We are
      currently working to include versions of the 2010/2011
      articles and reviews.

      Regards,

      Christophe Nihan
      University of Lausanne (Switzerland)
      Associate General Editor, Journal of Hebrew Scriptures

      The printed version of volume 9 (2009) has been published.
      For information please go to
      http://www.gorgiaspress.com/bookshop/showproduct.aspx?ISBN=978-1-61143-004-2.
      The printed version of volume 10 (2010) is currently in
      print.

      For information about the printed version of volume 8 (2008)
      please go to
      http://www.gorgiaspress.com/BOOKSHOP/pc-56678-10-ben-zvi-ehud-perspectives-on-hebrew-scriptures-v.aspx

      For information about the other printed volumes of the
      journal, please go to:
      http://www.gorgiaspress.com/BOOKSHOP/pc-56678-10-ben-zvi-ehud-perspectives-on-hebrew-scriptures-v.aspx

      The Logos version of vol. 8 has been released. For
      information please go to
      http://www.logos.com/product/8765/journal-of-hebrew-scriptures-vol-8.
      For information about the Logos version of vols. 1-7, please
      go to http://www.logos.com/products/details/4336.

      The Logos version of volume 9 of the journal is being
      prepared.