Re: [ANE-2]

  • drbrucekgardner@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2012
      jspinti@... writes:

      [snipped] Summer! The time for kings to go to war! I can almost see the
      Neo-Assyrian king now, riding in his chariot in pursuit of glory for himself
      and his god.

      I hope it will not be thought that I miss James Spinti's point, nor lack a
      sense of humour nor aim frivolously to complicate his legitimate
      exhortation, if I note that James has raised an interesting point with his
      reference.

      The time when kings go to war (2Sam 11:1 cf. 1Chron 20:1 was not, as I
      understand it, the summer but the "teshuvat hashanah", or "turning of the
      year", which is usually associated with spring or autumn/fall, as the months in
      which the equinoxes fell were (and still are) the focus of year-counting
      (spring - Abib / Nisan) and the new year (autumn /Fall - Ethanim / TIshri),
      with their associated festivals of Pesach and Succoth.

      I read that the targum of 1Chron 20:1 adds a specification of Nisan but,
      as there is ever an ambiguity about the equinoxes in the Hebrew Bible and in
      Jewish tradition - represented by the apparent illogicality of having New
      Year in month seven, as counted from the spring, - some might argue for an
      autumnal interpretation.

      Those more learned than I may know of ANE references to summer as
      war-time. I would be interested to hear, if so - also if list members have examined
      "teshuvat hashanah" and have suggestions to offer about it.

      I suspect James uses the idea metaphorically, of course, but the issue is
      nonetheless a valid focus in itself.

      Thank you, in advance.

      Bruce Gardner.
      Dr. Bruce Gardner (Rtd.)