[ANE-2] "The time when kings go to war"

  • Dr. Bruce K. Gardner
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2012
      (My apologies to the Moderators for failing to put a title on this posting when I sent it to them the first time.)

      In a message dated 01/06/2012 18:25:04 GMT Daylight Time, jspinti@... writes:
      [snipped] Summer! The time for kings to go to war! I can almost see the Neo-Assyrian king now, riding in his chariot in pursuit of glory for himself and his god.

      I hope it will not be thought that I miss James Spinti's point, nor lack a sense of humour nor aim frivolously to complicate his legitimate exhortation, if I note that James has raised an interesting point with his reference.

      The time when kings go to war (2Sam 11:1 cf. 1Chron 20:1) was not, as I understand it, the summer but the "teshuvat hashanah", or "turning of the year", which is usually associated with spring or autumn/fall, as the months in which the equinoxes fell were (and still are) the focus of year-counting (spring - Abib / Nisan) and the new year (autumn /Fall - Ethanim / TIshri), with their associated festivals of Pesach and Succoth.

      I read that the targum of 1Chron 20:1 adds a specification of Nisan but, as there is ever an ambiguity about the equinoxes in the Hebrew Bible and in Jewish tradition - represented by the apparent illogicality of having New Year in month seven, as counted from the spring, - some might argue for an autumnal interpretation.

      Those more learned than I may know of ANE references to summer as war-time. I would be interested to hear, if so - also if list members have examined "teshuvat hashanah" and have suggestions to offer about it.

      I suspect James uses the idea metaphorically, of course, but the issue is nonetheless a valid focus in itself.

      Thank you, in advance.

      Bruce Gardner.
      Dr. Bruce Gardner (Rtd.)
      Aberdeen