Nebra bronze disk

  • sacha.stern
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2006
      I may have missed it, but has there been any discussion on this list
      about the Bronze Age bronze disk from Nebra (near Berlin), supposedly
      an astronomical device based on the same principles as MUL.APIN?

      Best wishes

      Sacha
    • Robert Whiting
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2006
        On Wed, 3 May 2006, sacha.stern wrote:

        > I may have missed it, but has there been any discussion on this list
        > about the Bronze Age bronze disk from Nebra (near Berlin), supposedly
        > an astronomical device based on the same principles as MUL.APIN?

        Since the disk comes from Germany I don't believe that it has been
        discussed on either the old ANE or on ANE-2. It has been mentioned in
        Explorator several times but to my knowledge no direct connection with the
        ANE has been shown and there seems to be no particular connection with
        MUL.APIN (<http://www.geocities.com/astrologymulapin/>). Since the disk
        is dated to about 1600 BC and MUL.APIN is only known as a late compendium,
        any connection would be difficult to show. The disk's homepage (in
        German) can be found at <http://www.archlsa.de/sterne/>.

        More information in English can be found by googling "nebra bronze disk"
        (without the "").

        Interesting though it is, I can't see that there is any justification for
        discussing it on ANE-2 without some stronger connection with the ANE.

        Bob Whiting
        whiting@...