Re: [ANE-2] re: Large scale grant from SSHRC to study the EB at Tell es-Safi/Gath

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 4 , May 27, 2012
      That's really fantastic, Aren! Congrats to all of you!!

      --
      ++++

      Jim West, ThD
      Petros TN
    • Brian Colless
      Message 2 of 4 , May 29, 2012
        Aren, this is certainly good news.

        Unfortunately you will be fossicking [Australasian colloquial] in an
        area where inscriptions are unlikely to be found; but if you uncover
        any EBA texts and if they are not cuneiform or Egyptian, but West
        Semitic syllabic, please put them on open access quickly.

        The earliest examples I know are on two funerary amulets from Umm el-
        Marra (Tuba); they did not work, as they have been broken into pieces.
        They date to at least 2300 BCE.

        http://cryptcracker.blogspot.co.nz/2007/03/oldest-west-semitic-inscriptions-these.html

        Brian Colless
        Massey University
        New Zealand

        On 28/05/2012, at 6:36 AM, aren wrote:

        > Dear all,
        > Please note the following exciting announcement from Haskel
        > Greenfield and myself.
        >
        > Best
        > Aren Maeir
        > gath.wordpress.com
        >
        > Prof. Haskel Greenfield (University of Manitoba) and Prof. Aren
        > Maeir (Bar-Ilan University) have been awarded a seven year, large-
        > scale grant from the Canadian government's Social Science and
        > Humanities Research Council for the study of the Early Bronze Age
        > remains at the site of Tell es-Safi/Gath in Israel.
        > The project is entitled "The nature of early urban neighbourhoods in
        > the southern Levant: Early Bronze Age at Tell es-Safi", and will
        > involve five years of excavation and two years of post-excavation
        > analysis.
        > The CAN$2.7 million grant (with institutional matching actually
        > reaching close to CAN$4 million) aims to carry out an
        > interdisciplinary study of the Early Bronze Age III city at Tell es-
        > Safi/Gath, with particular focus on the non-elite neighborhoods. In
        > collaboration with a diverse group of scholars from Canada, Israel
        > and other countries, and utilizing macro- and micro-archaeological
        > perspectives, they plan to study facets of daily life in one of the
        > larger cities of the first stage of urban culture in the Southern
        > Levant. The large scale funding will enable a broad range of cutting
        > technological and analytical techniques to be used in this research,
        > as well as comprehensive training of the next generation of students.
        > This research is conducted as part of the Tell es-Safi/Gath
        > Archaeological Project, directed by Prof. Aren Maeir, which is a
        > long-term project (commenced in 1996) aimed at studying the cultural
        > and environmental history of the site of Tell es-Safi/Gath and its
        > environs.

      • aren
        Message 3 of 4 , May 29, 2012
          Brian,
          Thanks. Not that we excavate for inscriptions only, but I agree it would be nice (but rather unlikely) to find an inscription (ANY!) in an EB context in Canaan.
          As to publication - at Safi we usually don't have a problem with publishing important finds (and finds in general) in time...

          Do check out the renewed facebook page of the project at: TellesSafiGath

          Aren Maeir
          gath.wordpress.com