Third Dynasty Research

  • Al
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2012
      Greetings, all --

      Unlike most of you, I am not a scholar. I am an author, living in Bucks County, PA, in the United States. For a number of years I have been researching and writing drafts of a novel set in Egypt's Third Dynasty. My lead character is Imhotep -- as a boy. (This is a Middle Grade novel, as they are called, meant for a young readership. More on this in a bit.)

      I chose the time period and the character for a number of reasons... most novels set in ancient Egypt deal primarily with the time of Tutankhamen -- probably because he's the best-known pharaoh. But I find the time of the Third Dynasty far more interesting -- Egypt was young and powerful and on the rise, and of course Imhotep was... well, Imhotep. A totally fascinating person!

      My intention is to explore how and why he became who he was. Obviously I am writing speculatively. Given that there is relatively little known about him, I grant myself artistic license to make some things up. That said, I want to be as accurate as I can possibly be in my depiction of that time and place.

      To that end, I hope that I can post questions here (or discuss my ideas and problems in private). This is important work to me; my target audience is primarily young boys, known as "reluctant readers." I was an avid reader as a child (still am) and it's my purpose to try to make history come alive for modern young people.

      In any event, I'm pleased to be here and I look forward to learning a great deal.

      (And yes, I am published, and have been since 1973, so I am not new at this.)

      Thanks in advance.

      Al Sirois
      Bucks County, PA