New Article in JHS

  • christophe.nihan@unil.ch
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 19, 2012
      Dear All,

      I am glad to announce the publication of a new article in
      the Journal of Hebrew Scriptures (http://www.jhsonline.org).

      Paul S. EVANS, “History in the Eye of the Beholder? Social
      Location and Allegations of Racial/Colonial Biases in
      Reconstructions of Sennacherib’s Invasion of Judah”

      Abstract: Studies by A.O. Bellis and H.T. Aubin have
      criticized scholars for failing to acknowledge the role of
      Africans in the ‘deliverance’ of Jerusalem from the
      Assyrian threat in 701 BCE due to racial bias and the
      continuing influence of 19th century colonial scholarship.
      This article examines their arguments in detail and
      demonstrates that the evidence does not support their
      hypothesis. Furthermore, this article considers to what
      extent social location as well as racial and political bias
      affect biblical scholarship, and particularly
      reconstructions of history.

      To access the article directly please go to:

      http://www.jhsonline.org/JHS/Articles/article_167.pdf

      Also, please note that JHS is now offering hypertext/
      hyperlinked versions of all articles and reviews published
      from 1996 to 2009 (inclusive of 2009). We are currently
      working to include versions of the 2010/2011 articles and
      reviews.

      Regards,

      Christophe Nihan
      University of Lausanne (Switzerland)
      Associate General Editor, Journal of Hebrew Scriptures

      The printed version of volume 10 (2010) has been published.
      For information please go to:
      http://www.gorgiaspress.com/BOOKSHOP/pc-59825-10-ben-zvi-ehud-perspectives-on-hebrew-scriptures-vii.aspx

      For information about the printed version of volume 9 (2009)
      please go to:
      http://www.gorgiaspress.com/BOOKSHOP/pc-57974-10-ben-zvi-ehud-perspectives-on-hebrew-scriptures-vi.aspx

      For information about the other printed volumes of the
      journal, please go to:
      http://www.gorgiaspress.com/BOOKSHOP/pc-56678-10-ben-zvi-ehud-perspectives-on-hebrew-scriptures-v.aspx

      The Logos version of vol. 8 has been released. For
      information please go to
      http://www.logos.com/product/8765/journal-of-hebrew-scriptures-vol-8.

      For information about the Logos version of vols. 1-7, please
      go to http://www.logos.com/products/details/4336

      The Logos version of volume 9 of the journal is being
      prepared.
    • christophe.nihan@unil.ch
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 17, 2012
        Dear All,

        I am glad to announce the publication of a new article in
        the Journal of Hebrew Scriptures
        (http://www.jhsonline.org/index.html).

        Cynthia R. CHAPMAN, “ ‘Oh that you were like a brother
        to me, one who had nursed at my mother’s breasts.’
        Breast Milk as a Kinship-Forging Substance”

        Abstract: This article builds on the work of anthropologists
        who focus on milk kinship to demonstrate that biblical
        Hebrew narrative understands breast milk as a
        kinship-forging substance. The Bible presents breastfeeding
        as a process through which a mother or wet nurse confers
        upon an infant her own tribal identity and royal or priestly
        status. Breastfeeding narratives in the Bible bolster the
        hero’s royal or priestly credentials and establish his
        insider ethnicity.

        To access the article directly please go to

        http://www.jhsonline.org/JHS/Articles/article_169.pdf

        Also, I am glad to announce that JHS is now offering
        hypertext/ hyperlinked versions of all articles and reviews
        published from 1996 to 2009 (inclusive of 2009). We are
        currently working to include versions of the 2010/2011
        articles and reviews.

        Regards,

        Christophe Nihan
        University of Lausanne (Switzerland)
        Associate General Editor, Journal of Hebrew Scriptures

        The printed version of volume 9 (2009) has been published.
        For information please go to
        http://www.gorgiaspress.com/bookshop/showproduct.aspx?ISBN=978-1-61143-004-2.
        The printed version of volume 10 (2010) is currently in
        print.

        For information about the printed version of volume 8 (2008)