sprinkling the school

  • Lisbeth S. Fried
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 26, 2012
      Dear ANE-ers,
      In the Coptic Jeremiah Apocryphon, Ezra makes a cameo appearance as a
      schoolboy living in Babylon.
      He and his fellows go to the river to bring water back to sprinkle the
      schoolhouse.
      Does anyone have any idea what that might be about?
      Thanks for any help.
      Liz

      Lisbeth S. Fried, Ph.D.
      Department of Near Eastern Studies
      and the Frankel Center for Judaic Studies
      University of Michigan
      202 S. Thayer -- Room 4111
      Ann Arbor, MI 48104
      www.lisbethfried.com <http://www.lisbethfried.com/>

      I sent (too much) rain on one city, and sent no rain on another city; and
      still you did not return to me, says YHWH. (Amo 4:7-8 )

    • Trudy Kawami
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 26, 2012
        One possibility would be mundane - to keep down the dust of what I assume to be packed earth floors. Well processed clay, packed down & almost polished, makes a good interior flooring & only needs an occasional wet-down & re-smoothing (during the dry season).

        Trudy S. Kawami
        Arthur M. Sackler Foundation
        New York, NY 10022
        www.arthurmsacklerfdn.org

        www.lisbethfried.com<http://www.lisbethfried.com> <http://www.lisbethfried.com/>

        I sent (too much) rain on one city, and sent no rain on another city; and
        still you did not return to me, says YHWH. (Amo 4:7-8 )

      • Frank Polak
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 26, 2012
          Shalom Liz,

          Not out of any special Mesopotamian understanding

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 26, 2012
            Shalom Liz,

            Apologies for the mishap.
            Not out of any special Mesopotamian knowledge: water for cooling, like
            the hennery,
            and maybe in order to keep the mud bricks of the walls wet. And of
            course,
            the question still is whether this is Mesopotamian, Levantine or
            Egyptian usage.

            Best,

            Frank Polak
            Tel Aviv University

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 26, 2012
              Shalom,

              An additionbal note; sprinkling the floor is one of the tricks to cool
              a house during the heat,

              Frank Polak
              Subdepartment of Bible
              Tel Aviv University

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 28, 2012
                Dear Frank and Trudy,
                Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas about the sprinkling.

                www.lisbethfried.com

                An additionbal note; sprinkling the floor is one of the tricks to cool a
                house during the heat,

                Frank Polak
                Subdepartment of Bible
                Tel Aviv University

                On 26/03/2012, at 17:30, Trudy Kawami wrote:

                > One possibility would be mundane - to keep down the dust of what I
                > assume to be packed earth floors. Well processed clay, packed down &
                > almost polished, makes a good interior flooring & only needs an
                > occasional wet-down & re-smoothing (during the dry season).
                >
                > Trudy S. Kawami
                > Arthur M. Sackler Foundation
                > New York, NY 10022
                > www.arthurmsacklerfdn.org

              • Rafal Kolinski
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 5 11:08 PM
                  In the modern Iraq sprinkling a courtyard with water is usually done before sweeping of the area with broom. Probably to avoid rising to much dust.
                  To my mind, the activity mentioned in the text relate to cleaning the school before classes.

                  yours

                  Rafał Kolinski
                  Institute of Prehistory
                  Adami Mickiewicz University