Sumerian 'me' - Akkadian 'melammu'

  • sujuca2
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 14, 2012
      Dear list members,

      Can anyone enlighten me as to whether there is any relationship between Sumerian 'me' and Akkadian 'melammu'? These concepts both seem to be divine qualities that can be tagged on to persons and objects. Is there a lexical relationship between the words? Is there an evolution from the Sumerian concept onto the Akkadian one? I have looked at CAD, but that doesn't go further than suggesting that it is a Sumerian loan word.

      Any help (and references) would be greatly appreciated.

      Carla Sulzbach,
      Montreal
    • Xianhua
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 15, 2012
        I think Prof Vladimir Emelianov at St. Petersburg University in Russia is the one to ask.

        Sincerely yours,

        Xianhua
        2012-03-15

        ---
        Prof. Xianhua Wang, PhD
        School of History and Culture
        Sichuan University, CHINA

        At 11:06 on 2012-03-15, "sujuca2"<cjsulz@...> wrote:

        >Dear list members,
        >
        >Can anyone enlighten me as to whether there is any relationship between Sumerian 'me' and Akkadian 'melammu'? These concepts both seem to be divine qualities that can be tagged on to persons and objects. Is there a lexical relationship between the words? Is there an evolution from the Sumerian concept onto the Akkadian one? I have looked at CAD, but that doesn't go further than suggesting that it is a Sumerian loan word.
        >
        >Any help (and references) would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        >Carla Sulzbach,
        >Montreal

      • Diana Gainer
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 15, 2012
          According to "A Concise Dictionary of Akkadian" by Black, George, and Postgate (2000), Akkadian 'melammu' meaning "shining garment" derives from 'melemmu', "fearsome radiance" (as of deity, demon, planet/star, or king), ultimately from Sumerian.  According to "Sumerian Lexicon" by Halloran (2006), the Sumerian original would seem to be 'me-lam2/lem4' or 'me-lem3', meaning "terrifying glance; splendor, radiance" rather than 'me' ("essence, function, office").  But perhaps the two Sumerian words are related?

          Diana Gainer
          Texas A&M-Commerce