Re: [ANE-2] Archaeologists discover name of lost pharaonic king

  • Robert McRoberts
    Message 1 of 62 , Mar 6, 2012
      Ian,

      Thanks for the clarification. I have been hearing different views of this for several days. If I understand correctly what is being stated is that an artifact from this king's reign had been discovered showing his name. Previously the name was only known from artifacts dating to his successor's. So the idea that there needs to be a new name added to the king list is bunkum. Sadly it seems this misconception is tainting an otherwise worthwhile find.

      Robert F. McRoberts
      Suite101 Ancient History Editor

      ________________________________
      Message 62 of 62 , Mar 15, 2012
        > 1.1. Reflections on the EES Excavations at Amarna
        >    Posted by: "Brian" r.brianroberts@... r.brianroberts
        >    Date: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:11 am ((PDT))
        >
        > I quite accidentally discovered a set of short videos on Youtube comprised of film shot during the 1930-1933 seasons at Amarna, under the Directorship of John Pendlebury. The first thing that occurred to me was how ahead of his time he was to realize the power of the moving image to enthrall the public back home! And secondly, it may be the first multimedia excavation ever (in their case, printed report and film).
        >
        > Does anyone on the list know if that's true?

        There are short film clips of Sir Henry Wellcome's 1911-14 excavations
        at the famous site Jebel Moya, south-central Sudan, which I am
        re-examining. The clips are available on the Wellcome Trust's website.

        Regards,
        Mike Brass
        University College London