Re: [ANE-2] Question on Mari C-14 Dates

  • Michael F. Lane
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2012
      Glenn Schwartz writes,
      [snip]
      "the dates are listed in Robert Ehrich (ed.), Chronologies in Old World
      Archaeology (3rd edition, 1992). There may be more listed in Margueron's
      2004 book, Mari: une metropole de l'Euphrate."
      [snip]

      Best, MFL

      > Dear List,
      >
      > This question may be a stretch to ask, as it is fairly obscure, but I will
      > give it a try. I read in Akkermans and Schwartz (p. 267) that related to
      > Mari of the pre-Sargon period, β€œThe carbon-14 dates from the
      > pre-Sargonic palace levels appear to be too early, but the material
      > culture otherwise supports a date ca. 2500-2300 BC.”
      >
      > The authors do not cite any sources for this C-14 dating, but I am curious
      > if anyone might know of the specific source. Obviously I can rummage
      > through Margueron’s publications and what-not, but I am wondering if
      > anyone can make this quicker for me.
      >
      > Many thanks,
      >
      > Doug Petrovich
      > Toronto, Canada

      Dr. Michael Franklin Lane
      Co-Director, AROURA
      Ancient Studies Department
      Fine Arts Building, Room 452
      1000 Hilltop Circle
      Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
      Tel. +1-410-455-6265 / Fax +1-410-455-1660
      http://www.umbc.edu/aroura