Re: "tempio poliadico"?

  • pppmerlo
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
      Dear Peter,

      the Italian adjective "poliade" is better than "poliadico" in this context.
      Anyway, this is the Treccani's definition of "poliade":

      polìade (1) agg. [dal gr. πολιάς -άδος agg. femm. (der. di πόλις «città»), «protettrice della città», soprattutto come epiteto della dea Atena]. – Nella storia delle religioni, di divinità, o relativo a divinità, che abbia un legame particolare e più stretto con una città piuttosto che con altre, figurando come sua speciale protettrice o rappresentante e perciò da essa venerata con un culto particolarmente importante e solenne: un dio p.; divinità con funzioni p.; culto poliade.

      Source: http://www.treccani.it/vocabolario/poliade1/

      Best wishes,
      Paolo Merlo
      Rome

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
        Thank you ... but as you have seen from the quotation, what my author wrote was "poliadico," and it refers not to Athena, but to the temple of the Ara della Regina; and in this definition, it is associated with dio, divino, and culto, but not tempio; and finally, there is evidently no corresponding word in English!
        Jersey City

        >________________________________

      • Steve Farmer
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
          On Feb 7, 2012, at 6:39 AM, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

          > Thank you ... but as you have seen from the quotation, what my author wrote was "poliadico," and it refers not to Athena, but to the temple of the Ara della Regina; and in this definition, it is associated with dio, divino, and culto, but not tempio; and finally, there is evidently no corresponding word in English!
          > --
          > Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...
          > Jersey City

          As already noted by several others on the list, the words 'poliadico' and 'poliade' are cognate and are often used equivalently -- in reference to gods, temples, sanctuaries, whatever. Many examples can be shown from hundreds of sources in scholarly and popular sources. A "dio poliadico" or "dio poliade" is a city's protector deity, and a "tempio poliadico" or "tempio poliade" is the temple of such a deity. There may be no exact equivalent in English, but its meaning in Italian is not obscure.

          If you want examples in ANE, even from popular sources, see

          http://www.sapere.it/enciclopedia/b%c3%aal.html

          > Marduk, dio poliade della città di Babele....

          On equivalences between 'poliadico' and 'poliade', see again below. Your original suggestion (see also infra) that the term has something to do with "syncretic" is erroneous.

          Steve Farmer
          Palo Alto, Ca

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
            I am not questioning the Italian meaning. I am looking for a way to translate "tempio poliadico" into English, and "polyadic" is entirely out of the question, both because it is spelled with <y> and not <i> and because (with the one exception of a translation from Italian, where it goes unexplained) it does not have the relevant meaning -- it is a faux ami, and an accidental one (simply because Italian renders both Gk. poly- and Gk. poli- as <poli->).

            And unless some messages have failed to reach me, no one has offered any other example of "tempio poliade/ico."
            Jersey City