Re: [ANE-2] "tempio poliadico"?

  • George Athas
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 5, 2012
      Isn't it the concept of a god attached to a particular city, such as 'Yahweh of Samaria' and 'Yahweh of Jerusalem'?

      GEORGE ATHAS
      Director of Postgraduate Studies,
      Sydney, Australia

      From: "Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim@...<mailto:grammatim@...>>
      Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 08:15:30 -0800
      To: ANE-2 <ANE-2@yahoogroups.com<mailto:ANE-2@yahoogroups.com>>
      Subject: [ANE-2] "tempio poliadico"?

      I am translating an article from Italian, and it refers to a "tempio poliadico." The only "definition" found anywhere is 'polyadic'. The only use of this word in English outside mathematics is in Wilfred Watson's translation of an Italian book on Dagan, which has many references to "polyadic gods" but no hint of what is meant. "Poliadico" occurs with "tempio" and "santuario" in Italian.

      I'm wondering whether it perhaps means 'syncretic', but that doesn't help with how to render it in reference to a temple.

      --
      Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...<mailto:grammatim%40verizon.net>
      Jersey City

    • Giuseppe Del Monte
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 5, 2012
        At 21.13 04/02/2012, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
        >Interesting. Did this come from the OED website? Note the scanning error
        >"Life Shelby" that obviously should be "Life Shelley," followed by a quite
        >garbled reference.
        >Well, I can't use a term invented by Shelley that somehow didn't catch on
        >... we could say "tutelary deity" of a city, but we can't say "tutelary
        >temple"!
        >--
        >Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...
        >Jersey City

        I have downloaded the NED from the Internet Archive, <www.archive.org/>.
        The original is at the Toronto University Library. It was tiring (16 files,
        3 GB), but in the end I have this work at hand on my hard disk, and it was
        worth the effort.

        Giuseppe Del Monte

        Prof. Giuseppe del Monte
        Professore Ordinario di
        Storia del Vicino Oriente antico
        Dpt. Scienze storiche del mondo antico
        Università di Pisa
        via Galvani 1 - I-56100 Pisa
        Fax 39-050-500668 - E-mail <gdelmonte@...>

        -----
        Nessun virus nel messaggio.
        Controllato da AVG - www.avg.com
        Versione: 10.0.1424 / Database dei virus: 2112/4789 - Data di rilascio: 04/02/2012
      • pppmerlo
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
          Dear Peter,

          the Italian adjective "poliade" is better than "poliadico" in this context.
          Anyway, this is the Treccani's definition of "poliade":

          polìade (1) agg. [dal gr. πολιάς -άδος agg. femm. (der. di πόλις «città»), «protettrice della città», soprattutto come epiteto della dea Atena]. – Nella storia delle religioni, di divinità, o relativo a divinità, che abbia un legame particolare e più stretto con una città piuttosto che con altre, figurando come sua speciale protettrice o rappresentante e perciò da essa venerata con un culto particolarmente importante e solenne: un dio p.; divinità con funzioni p.; culto poliade.

          Source: http://www.treccani.it/vocabolario/poliade1/

          Best wishes,
          Paolo Merlo
          Rome

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
            Thank you ... but as you have seen from the quotation, what my author wrote was "poliadico," and it refers not to Athena, but to the temple of the Ara della Regina; and in this definition, it is associated with dio, divino, and culto, but not tempio; and finally, there is evidently no corresponding word in English!
            Jersey City

            >________________________________

          • Steve Farmer
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
              On Feb 7, 2012, at 6:39 AM, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

              > Thank you ... but as you have seen from the quotation, what my author wrote was "poliadico," and it refers not to Athena, but to the temple of the Ara della Regina; and in this definition, it is associated with dio, divino, and culto, but not tempio; and finally, there is evidently no corresponding word in English!
              > --
              > Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...
              > Jersey City

              As already noted by several others on the list, the words 'poliadico' and 'poliade' are cognate and are often used equivalently -- in reference to gods, temples, sanctuaries, whatever. Many examples can be shown from hundreds of sources in scholarly and popular sources. A "dio poliadico" or "dio poliade" is a city's protector deity, and a "tempio poliadico" or "tempio poliade" is the temple of such a deity. There may be no exact equivalent in English, but its meaning in Italian is not obscure.

              If you want examples in ANE, even from popular sources, see

              http://www.sapere.it/enciclopedia/b%c3%aal.html

              > Marduk, dio poliade della città di Babele....

              On equivalences between 'poliadico' and 'poliade', see again below. Your original suggestion (see also infra) that the term has something to do with "syncretic" is erroneous.

              Steve Farmer
              Palo Alto, Ca

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
                I am not questioning the Italian meaning. I am looking for a way to translate "tempio poliadico" into English, and "polyadic" is entirely out of the question, both because it is spelled with <y> and not <i> and because (with the one exception of a translation from Italian, where it goes unexplained) it does not have the relevant meaning -- it is a faux ami, and an accidental one (simply because Italian renders both Gk. poly- and Gk. poli- as <poli->).

                And unless some messages have failed to reach me, no one has offered any other example of "tempio poliade/ico."
                Jersey City