was kibosh (whip) an ANE term?

  • Stephen Goranson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 29, 2012
      So far I've traced "kibosh" (as in "put the kibosh on"), meaning a NE whip made of rhinoceros or hippopotamus skin, back to 1830. Some newly-found evidence and several variant spellings are below. Does anyone know an equivalent term in any ANE language? Thanks.

      Variant spellings: kybosh, korbadj, kurbach, kourbach, qirbach, qurbash, courbache, corbage, kurbash, and now kurbaj, meaning whip, lash.

      '...Eat all that is set before you, or, by the soul of Hosseyn, your back shall taste of the _kurbaj_ (whip) and the _mikraah_ (rod).'

      Punch, or the London Charivari vol. X (1846) p. 273, col. 2
      [article title]"Egyptian Impressions"
      {and note the PN Kybosh-... in col. 1]

      Stephen Goranson
      http://www.duke.edu/~goranson

      Google Books:
      http://books.google.com/books?id=yv8CAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA273&dq=whip+kybosh+OR+kibosh&hl=en&sa=X&ei=IGclT_nkGca2tweQ2fGZDw&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=whip%20kybosh%20OR%20kibosh&f=false

      http://tinyurl.com/7zwcjmu

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 29, 2012
        Why do you think this is the origin of "put the kibosh on"? Both Merriam-Webster and American Heritage say etymology unknown.

        Jersey City

        >________________________________

      • Stephen Goranson
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 30, 2012
          Many quotations, including antedatings of those given in the Oxford English Dictionary, link kibosh (and variant spellings) with the whip or lash made from hippopotamus or rhinoceros skin. The quotations were sent by me and others to the American Dialect Society discussion list and gathered in Comments on Etymology vol. 40, no. 1-2, Oct./Nov. 2010: Gerald Cohen (compiler) 'Stephen Goranson's suggestion that "kibosh" in "put the "kibosh on" may derive from "kurbash" (a type of whip) pp. 12-41; Addenda: A. Stephen Goranson: ca. 1830: Broadside 'Penal Servitude' with lines 'It would put the kibosh like winking / That is if they was to introduce
          the lash" p. 42; B. Matthew Little's preliminary treatment (Nov. 2009; only now published)
          suggesting "kibosh" from ""kurbash".pp. 45-48.

          The ca. 1830 quote equating kibosh and lash is in cockney (non-rhotic): "It would put the kibosh like winking / That is if they was to introduce the lash." The Arabic and Turkish words received many different spellings in English. Actually the connection was not forgotten by some. E.g., Sultan to Sultan: Adventures among the Masai and other Tribes of East Africa, by M. French-Sheldon (London, 1892) p. 200: "Witnessing the event, Hamidi's _kibosh_ (rhinoceros-hide stick) went whistling through the air...." An early use of the collocation "put the Kibosh on" is in the Observer [London] Nov. 30, 1834, p. 4 "...and now the Duke of Vellington as put the 'Kibosh' on 'em, vich they never would have got if they hadn't passed it; that's vat floored 'em." Several other quotes link kibosh (kybosh etc.) with this whip or lash. It remains to be seen how old this link is.

          Stephen Goranson
          http://www.duke.edu/~goranson

          --
          Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...<mailto:grammatim%40verizon.net>