Re: [ANE-2] Law Codes in the ANE and in ancient Israel

  • RUSSELLGMIRKIN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 34 , Jan 12, 2012
      Liz,

      I also highly recommend Michael LeFebvre's book, which, largely relying
      on arguments from Ezra-Nehemiah, deconstructs the notion that the Torah
      attained authoritative legal status as prescriptive law during the Persian
      Period, and adduces powerful arguments that this took place under Ptolemy II
      Philadelphus and thereafter in Ptolemaic Egypt, where we appear to see the
      Torah in use as a Jewish legal code in Ptolemaic courts. His arguments that
      the court system of Philadelphus introduced the Jews to the use of Torah
      as a law code are highly compatible with my own views that the Torah was
      authored in Alexandria under the royal patronage of Philadelphus using
      Hellenistic sources from the Great Library.

      But I agree with Liz that this discussion, however interesting, is better
      suited to the Biblical Studies discussion group. I will cross-post to
      facilitate the transition.

      Best Regards,
      Russell Gmirkin
      Portland, Oregon

      Dear Russell,
      Well, all this is very interesting. I agree that at some point in time
      Israel/Judah passed from an ANE view of the world to a Greek one. At that
      time law codes became prescriptive. We can certainly see this in the books
      of Maccabees, Daniel, Esther, and of course, Josephus.
      When would this change have occurred? Can we detect both points of view in
      the biblical texts or only the one?

      In any case, I was talking about the historical people Israel who lived in
      the land of Canaan prior to 586. I think those people had an ANE view of
      the
      world. Imo, whatever law codes existed then were irrelevant for the daily
      life of the people, but were scribal speculations on the meaning of
      justice.

      What view the texts reflect is a separate question entirely. For this
      second
      question, I suggest Michael LeFebvre's book, Collections, Codes, and Torah,
      which asks this very question: Do the biblical texts reflect an ANE or a
      Greek attitude toward laws and law codes.
      In fact, I'd like everyone to read it, I'd be interested in reactions. I
      think tho that is a question for the biblical studies list, not this one.

      All the best,

      Liz

    • robtyenow
      Message 34 of 34 , Jan 17, 2012
        Dear Raz

        Many thanks indeed for the debate, and please keep me up to date on your future studies.

        It seems to me a pity that so few venture into this fascinating field, and also, that few take time to exchange opinions on the developments in it.

        sincerely

        Rob Tye, York, UK