Re: [ANE-2] Mas-d'Azilian pebble script

  • gtosiris@mpx.com.au
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2012
      Even 100 years ago scholars were sceptical of claims that the some 1400 coloured (marked
      with rudimentary red and black lines) oblong pebbles found by Piette circa 1896 in the
      stratum of the Cave of Mas-d'Azil was a script as he claimed. See as example: Anthropology
      and the Classics edited by Marett (1908). The level of scepticism has increased with time.

      Gary Thompson
      Australia
      No academic affiliation

      On 5 Jan 2012 at 21:03, Trudy Kawami wrote:

      > For those who were wondering about the Mas-d'Azilian pebble script,
      > here are two references from the early 20th century. I think that
      > the 100-yr old references speak for themselves
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/8yzwxk9
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/79nsbjn

      [snip]

      On 5 Jan 2012 at 11:13, Ian Onvlee wrote:

      > From Spain
      > we still have the Mas-d'Azilian pebble script (yet undeciphered, and
      > looks much like Phoenician)), dated to circa 10.000 BC!

      [snip]