Re: SV: SV: [ANE-2] seals of biblical characters?

  • Michael Welch
    Message 1 of 38 , Dec 15, 2011
      Dear Dr. Lemche, Sorry, I was not clear. When I say unexcavated, I am saying unexcavated by an archaeological controlled excavation. You do not have to dig to find things all of the time because an inscribed item like the Mesha Stele was found on the surface. Many items are found in the ground. So you are correct. If it is clearer to say unprovenanced, then one could say that over ninety percent of the inscribed material used by scholars today is unprovenanced, for example-- the Amarna Tablets.
      With Much Gratitude,
      Sincerely Yours,
      Michael Welch
      Deltona, Florida

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Niels Peter Lemche <npl@...> wrote:

      > only one question: How can you study unexcavated material? In some way, any genuine seal from the ANE must have been unearthed in some way or the other.
      >
      > However, your remarks do not make the procedure more legitgimate.
      >
      > Niels Peter Lemche

    • Brian Colless
      Message 38 of 38 , Dec 21, 2011
        A detailed study I have seen took all the encircling evidence and
        gradually homed in on the position of the city of Akkad.

        Two interesting possibilities are that Akkad is under the river
        (Tigris); or it is buried beneath Baghdad (on the Tigris), directly
        north of Babylon (on the Euphrates).

        Brian Colless
        School of History
        Massey University, NZ