Re: Michmethath

  • davo.dasilva
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2006
      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "sam" <sam@...> wrote:

      > David Nunes da Silva wrote:
      > Thanks for these references. I've only used the Samaria survey
      in
      > summary form up to now, and lo and behold the real thing was on
      the
      > library shelf; it will be very useful in many ways.
      >
      > The site identification system in the Finkelstein uses tags like
      this:
      > "17-17/91/01". Which means the 91st grid square in large map 17-
      17.
      > Do you by any chance know how the grids are numbered? Are they
      > numbered 0-99 or 1-100? Does the numbering start at the top or
      the
      > bottom, is it by rows or by columns, and within a row do the
      numbers
      > run right to left or left to right? If you happen to know this
      it
      > will save me some trouble - our map library does not seem to have
      > these 10km maps.
      >

      > Since you have the book available in your library, you will find
      your answer on pp. 14-15 in Volume I. It does NOT mean the 91st grid
      square in map 17-17, but rather site no. 1 within Palestine Grid map
      reference 179 171.

      > Sam Wolff
      > Jerusalem

      Here's the quotation from page 15: "The first group of numbers (e.g.
      17-17) refers to the number of the map in the Palestinian Grid system.
      The second number, after the slash, gives the grid within the map"

      But where does the grid 179 171 fall within the map 17-17? Near the
      bottom or near the top? Is grid 179 171 further north than 178 172
      or further south?
      - thanks, David Nunes da Silva