Pan-Hellenism (was Hazor)

  • RUSSELLGMIRKIN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2011
      Dear Niels Peter,

      Would you care to expand (either here or in Jim West's Biblical Literature
      discussion group, as you deem appropriate) on what you mean by the term
      "Pan-Hellenism"? I assume that this is an analog to the simplistic
      Pan-Babylonian school in early twentieth century scholarship. The term seems very
      relevant to some recent studies that appear to view biblical literature as
      the (seemingly exclusive) product of Hellenistic Era forces and developments,
      to the exclusion of other potentially archaic, Ancient Near Eastern
      elements within Hellenistic Era Jewish society and literature. Thoughts?

      Best regards,
      Russell Gmirkin
      Portland, Oregon

      The big problem is that twenty years after my original lecture about the
      Old Testament as a Hellenistic Book (cf. The Old Testament-A Hellenistic
      Book? Scandi┬Čnavian Journal for the Old Testament 7 (1993), pp. 163 193, we
      seems to see a tendency towards "Pan-Hellenism." Some time ago I was at my
      department regretting the recent developments and sad that it seems that
      biblical scholarship is going back to its old bad ways. A former doctoral
      student of mine was there (Tilde Binger). She just answered: You are totally
      wrong. You have been victorious right down to H.... Everything turns around the
      agenda which you presented in the 1990s.