Re: [ANE-2] Re: Early Bronze Age Urbanism and then some

  • eliot braun
    Message 1 of 148 , Dec 3, 2011
      As a claim was made that: "Pre-Hellenistic Palestine was never able to sustain cities of the Hazor size.", I feel it incumbent upon myself to defend my EB people. While the urban and urbanized/urban-like  (socially complex and hierarchical) societies of the southern Levant never reached the sizes of the larger centers of ANE societies such as those in Syria, Mesopotamia, Anatolia and Egypt, from ca. the end of Early Bronze Age I until the end of Early Bronze Age III, there was a vital urbanized society in the region.It started ca. 3000 BCE and went on until ca. 2400 BCE. It was also a culturally unifying experience, which is eminently visible in ceramic production. Previously, in EB I there was very pronounced regionalism, which tapered off greatly at the end of the period and with the advent of EB II, we see considerably more standardization. Pottery was only part of this and I'm not going to go over other features. I just wish to make a point that
      archaeology didn't start with the biblical period. Late prehistory is sorely neglected, but very important for understanding the archaeological record of the southern Levant.

      Urbanism is found at a number of megasites and in numerous smaller communities. We know of them because often they were discovered (by accident?) by excavators looking for biblical remains. Early levels at Megiddo are EB I and important. Possibly the largest and most impressive installation at the site dates from that period; it may have been downhill after that. Below Tel Hazor and Tel Dan are likely large and important occupations. Massive sites are Tel Bet Yerah, Tel Yarmuth, Ai/et-Tell, Tel Erani. Other lesser sites, (urban-like) are fortified and include: Tel Kinrot, Tall abu-al-Kharaz, Pella, Tel Shalem, Tell es-Sayidiyeh, Jericho, Tall Handaquq, Tel Afeq, Tell el-Hesy, Hebron/Tell Rumeideh, Tel Paran, Tell es-Sakan, Bab edh Dhra, Arad, Numeira, sites on the Golan, etc. (List is not exhaustive). Probably there were hierarchies and associations between them, but lacking written documents, we have little information on the numerous possibilities.
      Perhaps that is why so many people eschew studying the EB Age.

      The contribution of the EB folk has always been overlooked and belittled. I'm standing up for them. They instituted a whole new social paradigm for the region after millenia of village and hamlet life and virtually egalitarian social systems. That is quite a contribution, in my book.

      All of the rose and fell well over a millennium before the biblical period proper. If this list is not going to descend into a biblical archaeology discussion, then perhaps its members would be more careful in the statements they make.

      Eliot Braun, Ph D
      PO Box 21, Har Adar 90836 Israel
      Tel 972-2-5345687, Cell 972-50-2231096

      ________________________________
      Message 148 of 148 , Dec 6, 2011
        Raz,
        Once again, I'm rather hesitant to get into this, since the ongoing back and forth is most often done on the basis of "party lines" and self-perceived "truths" and often without reference to the latest research in various areas.

        I was not, in any way stating who has the truth or not, at this or that university. For that matter, I felt that both sides of what appeared to be a completely aimless argument were not arguing about details of the most updated discussions and recent evidence of the LB destructions and/or the Sea Peoples, but rather going over their "party lines" - of which each side was totally convinced that his/her "truth" had "won" long ago (and nothing scares me more [in research, religion and politics] than those who know for sure that they are absolutely right).

        Simplistic conceptions of the various ideological divisions and scholarly camps are really only useful if you are interested in the debate - and not the content (or the history and sociology of research). Current research, with an overflow of wide ranging data, has shown, in my humble opinion, if anything, that the various ideological "camps" of the historical reconstruction of the beginning of the Iron Age are all wrong (or if you want, they are all partially right)! Things were much more complicated than previously assumed.
        For example, the simplistic explanation of the Philistines as monolithic conquerors does not hold - but neither does the often repeated mantra that there is no evidence of the influx of Aegean (or rather "western") oriented cultural elements. Au contraire - there is plenty of evidence of this, and that it can most probably be connected to the actual arrival of bona fide "bodies" who carried these cultural influences to the Levant.
        And to make things ever more multi-faceted, this is true to varying degrees in different areas, such as if we compare the situation in Philistia, Phoenicia and the Amuq. To try and explain away all these things in simplistic terms may sound good in a debating society - but not for those of us who are intimately involved in the nitty-gritty details of the relevant archaeological finds.
        Knowing Hebrew is not a sine qua non for studying the archaeology of this region, just like you can study the archaeology of Denmark, or Finland, without knowing the local languages. But, it can be very helpful (to say the least, as you well know).
        AND, when dealing with a topic such as the destruction of Hazor (which much of the recent discussion on this list was not demonstrating an awareness of much of the most updated research), if the most recent discussion is in Hebrew, it is worthwhile to relate to it.

        But hey - I've long ago had the feeling that this list is all too often more about the sociology of research and the psychology of the researchers, than research itself.

        But that is my opinion - and what do I know...

        Aren Maeir
        gath.wordpress.com