SV: [ANE-2] Re: Final LBA Hazor's Destruction; Was Sea Peoples, a dubious term.

    Message 1 of 148 , Dec 3, 2011
      It was during a visit to Copenhagen more than ten years ago that Ben Tor said so. Maybe to please us! At the time where Ben Tor still thought that he would find the archive, because of a similar layout in the palace at Hazor in the LB, and the one in Alalakh. Another look at Hazor will tell you that this site is extraordinary in a Palestinian context. It is enormous according to local standards. FRom a logistic point of view it is blocking the access from Lower Galilee to central Lebanon and further on towards the NW towards Syria. It is also quite notable that in the Iron Age, when we are talking of Hazor as an Palestinian city, it is reduced to the acropolis. Pre-Hellenistic Palestine was never able to sustain cities of the Hazor size.

      Kitchener is simply of no use in biblical studies except to the evangelicals where his religious home is. Hoffmeier also belongs here. That Yadin was a national biblical archaeologist is known to everybody in the field. I do not think that he would himself have objected.

      The discussion as such is moving into forbidden areas of biblical historicity, which is not a subject for the ANE-2. Furthermore, I guess that you know Aharoni's ideas about Hazor. Well, there always was this conflict between archaeology at Tel Aviv University and at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem.

      By the way, when talking about Hazor and the letter in which the ruler of Hazor claims that he will protect the city, you should consult Liverani and see what he writes about the spring and fall letters from Egypt (“A Seasonal Pattern for the Amarna Letters.” In Lingering over Words. Studies in Ancient Near Eastern Literature in Honor of William L. Moran, (Tzvi Abusch, ed.; Harvard Semitic Monographs 37; Atlanta: Scholars Press 1990) 337-348). Also his article about "the other language". (“Stereotipi della lingua „altra‟ nell'Asia anteriore antica.” Vicino Oriente 3 (1980) 15-31.). Reading a comprehensive selkection of Liverani's Amarna output (cf. his bibliography http://ancienthebrewpoetry.typepad.com/files/liverani-bibliography-aug-1-2011-1.pdf) should give you an impression of how complicated the LB in the Levant was, and far removed for the simplicity of biblically based authors like Kitchen, Hoffmeier and Yadin.

      Niels Peter Lemche

      Message 148 of 148 , Dec 6, 2011
        Raz,
        Once again, I'm rather hesitant to get into this, since the ongoing back and forth is most often done on the basis of "party lines" and self-perceived "truths" and often without reference to the latest research in various areas.

        I was not, in any way stating who has the truth or not, at this or that university. For that matter, I felt that both sides of what appeared to be a completely aimless argument were not arguing about details of the most updated discussions and recent evidence of the LB destructions and/or the Sea Peoples, but rather going over their "party lines" - of which each side was totally convinced that his/her "truth" had "won" long ago (and nothing scares me more [in research, religion and politics] than those who know for sure that they are absolutely right).

        Simplistic conceptions of the various ideological divisions and scholarly camps are really only useful if you are interested in the debate - and not the content (or the history and sociology of research). Current research, with an overflow of wide ranging data, has shown, in my humble opinion, if anything, that the various ideological "camps" of the historical reconstruction of the beginning of the Iron Age are all wrong (or if you want, they are all partially right)! Things were much more complicated than previously assumed.
        For example, the simplistic explanation of the Philistines as monolithic conquerors does not hold - but neither does the often repeated mantra that there is no evidence of the influx of Aegean (or rather "western") oriented cultural elements. Au contraire - there is plenty of evidence of this, and that it can most probably be connected to the actual arrival of bona fide "bodies" who carried these cultural influences to the Levant.
        And to make things ever more multi-faceted, this is true to varying degrees in different areas, such as if we compare the situation in Philistia, Phoenicia and the Amuq. To try and explain away all these things in simplistic terms may sound good in a debating society - but not for those of us who are intimately involved in the nitty-gritty details of the relevant archaeological finds.
        Knowing Hebrew is not a sine qua non for studying the archaeology of this region, just like you can study the archaeology of Denmark, or Finland, without knowing the local languages. But, it can be very helpful (to say the least, as you well know).
        AND, when dealing with a topic such as the destruction of Hazor (which much of the recent discussion on this list was not demonstrating an awareness of much of the most updated research), if the most recent discussion is in Hebrew, it is worthwhile to relate to it.

        But hey - I've long ago had the feeling that this list is all too often more about the sociology of research and the psychology of the researchers, than research itself.

        But that is my opinion - and what do I know...

        Aren Maeir
        gath.wordpress.com