Women in Mesopotamia

  • sbudin@camden.rutgers.edu
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
      Greetings, All,

      Could anyone on the list tell me if there are any books aimed at
      undergraduates on women in ancient Mesopotamia, something along the
      lines of Gay Robins' book on women in ancient Egypt, or Sue Blundell's
      book on women in ancient Greece? Other than Maria Brosius' book on
      Persian women, I'm not coming up with anything.

      Many thanks!
      Stephanie Budin
      Rutgers University, Camden

      "All the characters, human or otherwise, are imaginary, excepting only certain
      of the faerie folk, whom it might be unwise to offend by casting doubts on
      their existence. Or lack thereof." -Neil Gaiman
    • Aldo Tamburrino
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2011
        Dear Stephanie,

        Although not a book exclusively on women in ancient Mesopotamia, "Gender
        and Aging in Mesopotamia, by Rivkah Harris, University of Oklahomka Press,
        2000, contains some material that could help.

        Best regards,

        Aldo Tamburrino, Ph.D.
        Department of Civil Engineering
        University of Chile

        --
        Aldo Tamburrino Tavantzis, Ph.D.

      • nineb
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2011
          Dear Stephanie,

          Zainab Bahrani's 'Women of Babylon: gender and representation in Mesopotamia', is what comes to mind.

          I hope this helps.

          --
          Nineb Lamassu
          Researcher NENA Project (PI: Prof. Geoffrey Khan)

          --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, sbudin@... wrote:

          > Greetings, All,
          >
          > Could anyone on the list tell me if there are any books aimed at
          > undergraduates on women in ancient Mesopotamia, something along the
          > lines of Gay Robins' book on women in ancient Egypt, or Sue Blundell's
          > book on women in ancient Greece? Other than Maria Brosius' book on
          > Persian women, I'm not coming up with anything.
          >
          > Many thanks!
          > Stephanie Budin
          > Rutgers University, Camden
          >

          > "All the characters, human or otherwise, are imaginary, excepting only certain
          > of the faerie folk, whom it might be unwise to offend by casting doubts on
          > their existence. Or lack thereof." -Neil Gaiman

        • Jack Kilmon
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2011
            I would also recommend three authors. Sarah Pomeroy (Goddesses, Whores,
            Wives, and Slaves; Women in Classical Antiquity), Raymond Westbrook (Old
            Babylonian Marriage Law; Enforcement of Morals in Mesopotamian Law) and
            Rivka Harris (Independent Woman in Ancient Mesopotamia). Each also has a
            considerable corpus in the Journals.

            Jack Kilmon

          • sbudin@camden.rutgers.edu
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 5, 2011
              Dear All,

              Thanks to everyone who wrote offering bibliography. It seems that
              no such general book exists, but there are materials for pulling
              together various articles and chapters to fill the niche.

              Many thanks!
              Stephanie Budin
              Rutgers University, Camden