OCR & Semitic-language diacritics

  • fdeblauwe
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2011
      Does anyone know of any Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software that can recognize the diacritical marks typically used for transliterating Semitic-language texts (Arabic, Akkadian, Hebrew, Aramaic, etc.)?
    • Chris Hays
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2011
        I believe ABBYY FineReader would work for you. Its language support is very good. I've used it even to OCR Hebrew texts (i.e. Modern Hebrew; I don't think it can handle vowel points), and the results are respectably good, if not perfect:

        http://finereader.abbyy.com/recognition_languages

        CBH

        --

        Christopher B. Hays
        D. Wilson Moore Assistant Professor of Ancient Near Eastern Studies

        Ancient Near Eastern Studies at Fuller:
        http://www.fuller.edu/ancientneareast/
        www.facebook.com/Fuller.ANE