Re: SV: [ANE-2] Re: Impact of Climate Change in LBA/IAI

  • willphoenix1@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 148 , Nov 19, 2011
      David,

      You said, "What else could be stated is study of the ANE might lead in directions far from where one started and into fields of knowledge that are of great value even if they seem to be only remotely associated."

      Agreed! Thanks for the clarification. I read back through the posts and realized the connection; just hadn't gotten as far as saying such until now.

      Yes, it would seem, for me, the ANE has led me far and wide, as I'm sure, as you said, it has for others as well. I completely agree with a holistic approach to research, while focusing on a microcosm while investigating a "lead". But knowing variables from outside that microcosm can of course lead to new revelations and insights, etc, etc.

      The point is that when I read the post it seemed that the topic had gotten off track from the main purpose of the group. I'm glad I found the source of that confusion.

      Again, thanks for the clarification.

      William P. Apple
      Asheville, NC

    • aren
      Message 148 of 148 , Dec 6, 2011
        Raz,
        Once again, I'm rather hesitant to get into this, since the ongoing back and forth is most often done on the basis of "party lines" and self-perceived "truths" and often without reference to the latest research in various areas.

        I was not, in any way stating who has the truth or not, at this or that university. For that matter, I felt that both sides of what appeared to be a completely aimless argument were not arguing about details of the most updated discussions and recent evidence of the LB destructions and/or the Sea Peoples, but rather going over their "party lines" - of which each side was totally convinced that his/her "truth" had "won" long ago (and nothing scares me more [in research, religion and politics] than those who know for sure that they are absolutely right).

        Simplistic conceptions of the various ideological divisions and scholarly camps are really only useful if you are interested in the debate - and not the content (or the history and sociology of research). Current research, with an overflow of wide ranging data, has shown, in my humble opinion, if anything, that the various ideological "camps" of the historical reconstruction of the beginning of the Iron Age are all wrong (or if you want, they are all partially right)! Things were much more complicated than previously assumed.
        For example, the simplistic explanation of the Philistines as monolithic conquerors does not hold - but neither does the often repeated mantra that there is no evidence of the influx of Aegean (or rather "western") oriented cultural elements. Au contraire - there is plenty of evidence of this, and that it can most probably be connected to the actual arrival of bona fide "bodies" who carried these cultural influences to the Levant.
        And to make things ever more multi-faceted, this is true to varying degrees in different areas, such as if we compare the situation in Philistia, Phoenicia and the Amuq. To try and explain away all these things in simplistic terms may sound good in a debating society - but not for those of us who are intimately involved in the nitty-gritty details of the relevant archaeological finds.
        Knowing Hebrew is not a sine qua non for studying the archaeology of this region, just like you can study the archaeology of Denmark, or Finland, without knowing the local languages. But, it can be very helpful (to say the least, as you well know).
        AND, when dealing with a topic such as the destruction of Hazor (which much of the recent discussion on this list was not demonstrating an awareness of much of the most updated research), if the most recent discussion is in Hebrew, it is worthwhile to relate to it.

        But hey - I've long ago had the feeling that this list is all too often more about the sociology of research and the psychology of the researchers, than research itself.

        But that is my opinion - and what do I know...

        Aren Maeir
        gath.wordpress.com