Re: Herodotus 4:166

  • MarcC
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 10, 2011
      Let me add another citation:

      Peter G. van Alfen. Herodotus' "Aryandic" Silver and Bullion Use in Persian-Period Egypt. American Journal of Numismatics, Second Series 16-17 (2004-05) 7-46.

      Alfen takes the position that "Aryandic" denotes silver of the highest quality.

      Marc Cooper
      Missouri State

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "robtyenow" <robtyenow@...> wrote:

      > Dear Russell (if I may)
      >
      > RG <<One could argue that Julian Pollux (2nd AD, Alexandrian
      > grammarian who taught at Athens) drew on Herodotus>>
      >
      > That is my position, albeit one I adopted very recently.
      >
      > Joking aside, I see no problem with the suggestion. It seems Hesychius and Pollux were in the dictionary trade, and its surely plausible that Herodotus was their (sole) source for the word?
      >
      > After all, how would H and P ever recognised this so called Aryandic silver? I recall no one today in the numismatic world who sees any evidence at all that Aryandes produced coin. Named copies of Athenian tetradrachms from Egypt are very rare and appear only under significantly later satraps.
      >
      > best regards
      >
      > Robert Tye
      > York, UK
      >
      > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      >
      > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, RUSSELLGMIRKIN@ wrote:
      > >

      > > Robert Tye,
      > >
      > > I have no opinion about your theory, but how do you account for the
      > > mention of Aryandic silver by Hesychius, and especially to the exceptional
      > > purity of Aryandic silver at Julius Pollux 8.23? It doesn't appear to be
      > > unique to Herodotus. One could argue that Julian Pollux (2nd AD, Alexandrian
      > > grammarian who taught at Athens) drew on Herodotus. Is that your position?
      > >
      > > Best regards,
      > > Russell Gmirkin
      > >
      > > It seems to me just one puzzle remains. That is the perplexing phrase
      > > "even now the purest silver is that which is called Aryandic". If this is true,
      > > my proffered explanation is not really sufficient.
      > >
      > > My suggestion on this is that this was not true. It was a deliberately
      > > false embellishment, perhaps made by Herodotus himself. It concerned far away
      > > Egyptian matters, which Greeks in the main may not have been informed upon.

    • robtyenow
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 11, 2011
        Many thanks for this. I have written to Peter van Alfen in case he wishes to comment.

        Detailed discussions of the links between metrology, seigniorage and the political economy are hard to find in the literature on Ancient Greece and the ANE. I raised this matter with Andrew Meadows a long while back, when he joined the BM staff. My copy of the recent von Reden book is in the mail, and I have hopes this will start to rectify matters.

        There is a much greater awareness of what seem to me to be fundamentally the same issues in connection with the medieval European Economy. See for instance the 2009 criticism of the work of economists Sargent and Velde by the historian Munro.

        Robert Tye, York, UK

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "MarcC" <marc.cooper@...> wrote:

        > Let me add another citation:
        >
        > Peter G. van Alfen. Herodotus' "Aryandic" Silver and Bullion Use in Persian-Period Egypt. American Journal of Numismatics, Second Series 16-17 (2004-05) 7-46.
        >
        > Alfen takes the position that "Aryandic" denotes silver of the highest quality.
        >
        > Marc Cooper
        > Missouri State
        >
        > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "robtyenow" <robtyenow@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Dear Russell (if I may)
        > >
        > > RG <<One could argue that Julian Pollux (2nd AD, Alexandrian
        > > grammarian who taught at Athens) drew on Herodotus>>
        > >
        > > That is my position, albeit one I adopted very recently.
        > >
        > > Joking aside, I see no problem with the suggestion. It seems Hesychius and Pollux were in the dictionary trade, and its surely plausible that Herodotus was their (sole) source for the word?
        > >
        > > After all, how would H and P ever recognised this so called Aryandic silver? I recall no one today in the numismatic world who sees any evidence at all that Aryandes produced coin. Named copies of Athenian tetradrachms from Egypt are very rare and appear only under significantly later satraps.
        > >
        > > best regards
        > >
        > > Robert Tye
        > > York, UK

      • Bea Hopkinson
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 11, 2011
          I have the impression that Heroditus defines mineral differences and
          qualities by the name of the site where these minerals were exploited.
          Has anybody found otherwise?

          Beatrice Hopkinson
          Hon.Sec. Los Angeles Branch, Oxford University Soc.
          American Institute of Archaeology, Los Angeles Board Member
          Cotsen Institute, Affiliate
          President, Droitwich Brine Springs and Archaeological Trust
          818 766 7780 Email:beahopkinson@...

          marc.cooper@...