Re: [ANE-2] Mittanni letter

  • Giuseppe Del Monte
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2011
      At 17.46 03/10/2011, you wrote:
      >Does anyone know of a photograph of the Mittanni Letter (EA 24)? Google
      >images yields a single photo so labeled, showing a quite large tablet
      >propped upright on a stand in a case (it's remarkably thick), but the
      >obverse, seen at an angle, appears not to be written in two columns, so
      >that probably isn't it.
      >It doesn't need to be a readable photo, and it should include some
      >indication of scale (Gene Gragg was of the opinion that it is the largest
      >cuneiform tablet ever found; even the biggest ones from Ebla don't quite
      >match it).
      >(Published in a book is just as good as on line. Unfortunately it wasn't
      >one of the Amarna tablets lent to the Metropolitan Museum a few years ago.)
      >Thanks!
      >--
      >Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...
      >Jersey City

      <http://amarna.ieiop.csic.es/amarna/mainacadio.html>

      With best regards,
      Giuseppe Del Monte

      Prof. Giuseppe del Monte
      Professore Ordinario di
      Storia del Vicino Oriente antico
      Dpt. Scienze storiche del mondo antico
      Università di Pisa
      via Galvani 1 - I-56100 Pisa
      Fax 39-050-500668 - E-mail <gdelmonte@...>

      -----
      Nessun virus nel messaggio.
      Controllato da AVG - www.avg.com
      Versione: 10.0.1410 / Database dei virus: 1520/3934 - Data di rilascio: 02/10/2011
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2011
        Wow! That's some big tablet!

        But what is that website? There doesn't seem to be any way to get to a homepage.

        (And it's pretty clear that the item identified as "the Mittani letter" at

         http://lila.sns.it/mnamon/index.php?page=Scrittura&id=51&cont=268&lang=en&PHPSESSID=fpxoeogttmuhz%c2%a0

        , which Google images also associates with wikipedia, isn't.)

        Mille grazie! (I don't know how to put that into Spanish.)

        >________________________________

      • Robert M Whiting
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2011
          On Mon, 3 Oct 2011, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

          > Wow! That's some big tablet!
          >
          > But what is that website? There doesn't seem to be any way to get to a
          > homepage.

          The website is <http://amarna.ieiop.csic.es/maineng.html> for the English
          version. There is a link to it on the ANE-2 group's home page Links >
          Cuneiform souces > Amarna texts > Amarna letters at the Vorderasiatiches
          Museum.

          <snip>

          Bob Whiting
          whiting@...

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2011
            Merci beaucoup.

            >________________________________

          • Robert M Whiting
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 3, 2011
              On Mon, 3 Oct 2011, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

              > Merci beaucoup.

              De nada. Alternatively, you can usually get to a website's home page by
              deleting the directory information (everything after the first "/") in
              your browser's address bar and redirecting your browser there. In this
              case, it brings up the home page in Spanish, but then you're only a click
              away from the English.

              Bob Whiting
              whiting@...

              > >________________________________

            • Charles E. Jones
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 3, 2011
                This Amarna resource appears to be the sole online survivor of a rather interesting set of tools which used to be at http://www.labherm.filol.csic.es
                under the collective title of "SAPANU: Publicaciones en Internet del Laboratorio de Hermeneumatica"

                When it first disappeared there were caches of it at Internet Archive, and I made links to them from Abzu, but they seem to have decayed as well. Searching Abzu for "SAPANU" will find you all those dead links.

                I'd be grateful for any information of what happened to Sapanu, and even happier for information on where they might be hiding on the web if they are.

                -Chuck Jones-
                ISAW - NYU

                > On Mon, 3 Oct 2011, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
                >
                > > Wow! That's some big tablet!
                > >
                > > But what is that website? There doesn't seem to be
                > any way to get to a
                > > homepage.
                >
                > The website is
                > <http://amarna.ieiop.csic.es/maineng.html> for the
                > English
                > version. There is a link to it on the ANE-2 group's
                > home page Links >
                > Cuneiform souces > Amarna texts > Amarna letters at
                > the Vorderasiatiches
                > Museum.
                >
                > <snip>
                >
                > Bob Whiting
                > whiting@...
                >
                > > >________________________________

              • George F Somsel
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 3, 2011
                  There are missing tablets in the collection.  I have only tried a few, but immediately I note that EA151 and EA153 are not found.

                  george
                  gfsomsel

                  … search for truth, hear truth,
                  defend the truth till death.

                  - Jan Hus
                  _________

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 3, 2011
                    On Mon, 3 Oct 2011, Charles E. Jones wrote:

                    > This Amarna resource appears to be the sole online survivor of a rather
                    > interesting set of tools which used to be at
                    > http://www.labherm.filol.csic.es under the collective title of "SAPANU:
                    > Publicaciones en Internet del Laboratorio de Hermeneumatica"
                    >
                    > When it first disappeared there were caches of it at Internet Archive,
                    > and I made links to them from Abzu, but they seem to have decayed as
                    > well. Searching Abzu for "SAPANU" will find you all those dead links.
                    >
                    > I'd be grateful for any information of what happened to Sapanu, and even
                    > happier for information on where they might be hiding on the web if they
                    > are.

                    Sapanu is still there but it seems to be a shadow of its former self. See
                    <http://labherm.ieiop.csic.es/sapanu2004/>. The site seems not to have
                    been updated in quite some time.

                    Bob Whiting
                    whiting@...
                  • Robert M Whiting
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 3, 2011
                      On Mon, 3 Oct 2011, George F Somsel wrote:

                      > There are missing tablets in the collection. I have only tried a few,
                      > but immediately I note that EA151 and EA153 are not found.

                      Yes, this is noted on the home page in the section entitled "The
                      photographs". To save you trouble in your search for truth, I quote the
                      following from there:

                      The letters from El-Amarna whose photographs are published are the
                      following (according to EA numeration): EA 2, 4, 6, 8, 11-13, 18, 20,
                      21, 24, 29, 33, 38, 42, 44-48, 50, 51, 54, 56-58, 60, 62, 65-68, 70-72,
                      76-81, 84, 89-93, 95-98, 103, 105-112, 115, 117-122, 126, 127, 129, 130,
                      133, 138, 140, 143-146, 152, 154-157, 159, 162-171, 173-175, 177-179,
                      181-183, 185, 186, 189, 192-194, 196, 200-204, 207, 208, 210-212, 214,
                      217-219, 221-223, 226, 229, 231, 232, 234, 237-239, 241-243, 246, 249,
                      253-255, 257-259, 263, 265, 266, 268, 271, 273, 275, 276, 279, 281, 283,
                      285-291, 295, 300, 302, 307-312, 317, 319, 321, 326, 329, 332, 334-339
                      and 381.

                      It goes on to say:

                      These and any other omissions will be rectified whenever possible.

                      The best-laid plans, etc., are often subject to institutional funding.

                      Bob Whiting
                      whiting@...

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 3, 2011
                        At 00.41 04/10/2011, you wrote:
                        >There are missing tablets in the collection. I have only tried a few,
                        >but immediately I note that EA151 and EA153 are not found.
                        >george
                        >gfsomsel

                        At <http://amarna.ieiop.csic.es/> there is only the Amarna Berlin
                        collection. EA 151 is at the British Museum; you can obtain a good photo of
                        it (as of other Amarna tablets at BM) at the site of the BM
                        <http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/search_the_collection_database/museum_number_search.aspx>;
                        EA 153 is at the Metropolitan Museum of Art; I know no digital photo of it,
                        nor of the Amarna collection at Cairo.

                        With best regards,
                        Giuseppe Del Monte

                        Prof. Giuseppe del Monte
                        Professore Ordinario di
                        Storia del Vicino Oriente antico
                        Dpt. Scienze storiche del mondo antico
                        Università di Pisa
                        via Galvani 1 - I-56100 Pisa
                        Fax 39-050-500668 - E-mail <gdelmonte@...>

                        -----
                        Nessun virus nel messaggio.
                        Controllato da AVG - www.avg.com
                        Versione: 10.0.1410 / Database dei virus: 1520/3936 - Data di rilascio: 03/10/2011
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 4, 2011
                          Dear Alessandro,

                          Thank you for the French version of Jehasse -- I did not compare it with the English, but I will try to use it as a guide to the intent of the English. But how many changes are there between the two versions?

                        • Antonio Lombatti
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 4, 2011