Re: [ANE-2] 1QIsa[a]

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 2, 2011
      Good morning, Tom:
      I am just finishing my first cup of Jamaican Blue Mountain. I agree with
      you. Having just finished reading each column of the scroll, except for
      errors of omission and repetition, 1QIsa(a) is "dead on" to the later
      Masoretic text. Although one of the Isaiah scrolls may have been an
      "exercise" and perhaps from memory, the Great Scroll was
      penned...er...reeded...for use and halakha would have forbidden using
      memory. A "memory scroll" would not be such an accurate proto-Masoretic
      example as is this one. The reproduction I am making is actually a
      reconstruction designed to look exactly as the scroll looked when the scribe
      wrote his last letter, so there will be no lacunae. Reconstructing the text
      in the lacunae falls perfectly in line with the MT. This is important to me
      since sheepskins are not cheap. This scroll, the original, not mine, was
      definitely not written from memory. There are marginal notes from editors
      for some of the parablepsy and some were missed by the editor(s).

      Jack Kilmon

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 3, 2011
        Hi Victor:

        By “dead on” I did not mean letter for letter Masoretic style. There were no Masoretic texts of any Biblical Texts in the 2nd century BCE. I am talking about translational differences between the DSS scribe’s Aramaized Hebrew and use of matres lectionis at a time when there was no such thing as pointing or Masoretic texts. These are the orthographic differences of which you speak in a text that is absolutely astonishing, IMO, for its harmony to the Ben Asher and Ben Hayyim texts which also show primarily differences resulting from usage of matres and only three translation differences. Otherwise to call 1QIsa(a) a MT would be silly. They are separated by twelve centuries. There are a few interpretive differences. I think the scribe did use an exemplar text, made some mistakes of parablepsy which he himself as well as later editors corrected. That 1QIsa(a) was used as an exemplar for 1QIsa(b) is the best evidence for the praxis. For my own purposes I see nothing that will alter the manner I will reconstruct lacunae in the reconstruction.

        Jack

        Jack Kilmon

        How can you say the scroll is "dead on" to the MT? There are hundreds of orthographic differences which were studied years ago by Y. Kutscher and shown to be essentially "cribs" making the scroll readable to someone who spoke a later dialect of Hebrew. You are right that the scroll couldn't have been written from memory, but it wasn't simply copied out from an earlier version either. It was revised in the process of copying. It's basic text is of the MT variety, but it itself is hardly MT.

        Victor Hurowitz

        On Jul 1, 2011, at 4:37 PM, George F Somsel <mailto:gfsomsel%40yahoo.com> wrote:

        > In the NT it is common to see errors which are either generated by errors
        > of the
        > eye or errors of hearing. One might skip a line because there is another
        > line
        > with the same ending (homoioteuleuton) or even repeat a line. On the
        > other hand
        > when the vowels began to iticize, i.e., coalesce into an "i" sound. Thus
        > there
        > are clues to what the cause might be for an an error, but evidence isn't
        > always
        > present. If one finds a passage which is similar in some respects to
        > another,
        > one might find some elements introduced from the other passage which would
        > then
        > indicate an error of memory.
        > george
        > gfsomsel
        >
        > … search for truth, hear truth,
        > defend the truth till death.
        >
        > - Jan Hus
        > _________
        >
        > ________________________________

      • Brian Colless
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 3, 2011
          This thread has caused me to recall sitting in a Mishnaic Hebrew class
          at Sydney University more than 50 years ago.

          The teacher was Rabbi Israel Por(r)ush, I had been in a Latin class
          with his daughter Naomi, 5 years before that, and I always envied her
          sitting in the library doing Hebrew exercises (teacher was ECB
          Maclauren) with the Brown, Driver, and Briggs lexicon open in front of
          her. When I started as a language teacher in a secondary school I was
          finally able to attend Hebrew courses in the late afternoon.

          On one occasion my Rabbi was asked a question about the text of the
          DSS and MT; he paused, and remained silent for a while, then said he
          was running through the first page of Isaiah in both texts, comparing
          them.

          I never found out whether he had actually memorized the whole book of
          Yesha`yahu in those two editions.

          Brian Colless
          Massey University, NZ

          On 3/07/2011, at 2:55 AM, Jack Kilmon wrote:

          > Good morning, Tom:
          > I am just finishing my first cup of Jamaican Blue Mountain. I agree
          > with
          > you. Having just finished reading each column of the scroll, except
          > for
          > errors of omission and repetition, 1QIsa(a) is "dead on" to the later
          > Masoretic text. Although one of the Isaiah scrolls may have been an
          > "exercise" and perhaps from memory, the Great Scroll was
          > penned...er...reeded...for use and halakha would have forbidden using
          > memory. A "memory scroll" would not be such an accurate proto-
          > Masoretic
          > example as is this one. The reproduction I am making is actually a
          > reconstruction designed to look exactly as the scroll looked when
          > the scribe
          > wrote his last letter, so there will be no lacunae. Reconstructing
          > the text
          > in the lacunae falls perfectly in line with the MT. This is
          > important to me
          > since sheepskins are not cheap. This scroll, the original, not mine,
          > was
          > definitely not written from memory. There are marginal notes from
          > editors
          > for some of the parablepsy and some were missed by the editor(s).
          >
          > Jack Kilmon

        • victor avigdor hurowitz
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 4, 2011
            The first chapter in the book of Isaiah is the haftarah for the Shabbat
            before 9th Av and many people have it memorized, perhaps because it is
            chanted customarily following the cantillation of the Scroll of
            Lamentations, so it's no real big trick to look at the first column of
            1QIs(a) while you're chanting MT Isaiah and noting differences. And
            someone who had already committed MT to memory shouldn't have too much
            trouble remembering the variants in the Scroll.
            Victor Hurowitz
            BGU

          • victor avigdor hurowitz
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 4, 2011
              Dear ANE,
              Ever since ANE went to YAHOO I have not been able to communicate by using
              Microsoft Office Outlook. For some reason my address is rejected.
              Yesterday I finally tried to register again and I was successful in
              sending one letter to ANE. Today, a few minutes ago I tried again by
              replying to Brian Colless, but again I was rejected.
              I am writing at this very moment on the old Telnet program which is how I
              always used to communicate with ANE. What must I do to register again with
              the YAHOO?
              Thanks,
              Victor Hurowitz
              ANE
            • Robert M Whiting
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 4, 2011
                On Mon, 4 Jul 2011, victor avigdor hurowitz wrote:

                > Dear ANE,
                > Ever since ANE went to YAHOO I have not been able to communicate by using
                > Microsoft Office Outlook. For some reason my address is rejected.
                > Yesterday I finally tried to register again and I was successful in
                > sending one letter to ANE. Today, a few minutes ago I tried again by
                > replying to Brian Colless, but again I was rejected.
                > I am writing at this very moment on the old Telnet program which is how I
                > always used to communicate with ANE. What must I do to register again with
                > the YAHOO?

                Dear Victor (and others with similar problems),

                By rejected, I presume you mean that yahoo sends you a message saying you
                must be a member to post messages to the group. The most common reason
                for this is that you are trying to post from a address that is not
                registered with yahoo.

                To fix this, go to the ANE-2 home page (or any sub-page) and click on the
                link that says "Edit Membership" near the top of the page (just under the
                advertising banner). This will take you to a page that contains your
                optional settings for the group. Under "Step 1." there is a section
                labeled "Email Addresses". Make sure that all the addresses that you may
                want to post from are included. If not, click on the link that says "Add
                new email address" and then add any additional email addresses. Once the
                email address is registered, you should be able to post from it.

                If this doesn't fix your problem, it may be specific to MSOutlook in which
                case, since I don't use Outlook, you're on your own.

                Bob Whiting
                whiting@...