Re: [ANE-2] 1QIsa[a]

  • George F Somsel
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2011
      In the NT it is common to see errors which are either generated by errors of the
      eye or errors of hearing.  One might skip a line because there is another line
      with the same ending (homoioteuleuton) or even repeat a line.  On the other hand
      when the vowels began to iticize, i.e., coalesce into an "i" sound.  Thus there
      are clues to what the cause might be for an an error, but evidence isn't always
      present.  If one finds a passage which is similar in some respects to another,
      one might find some elements introduced from the other passage which would then
      indicate an error of memory.
       george
      gfsomsel

      … search for truth, hear truth,
      defend the truth till death.

      - Jan Hus
      _________

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2011
        See Jack Kilmon's posting on the kinds of scribal errors found in the text --
        not the sorts of things that would occur in the process envisioned by Burrows.

        However, if you look at the context and date of Burrows's discussion, you'll see
        that he was speculating about the differences between the Isaiah Scroll's
        orthography and the MT, writing long before the texts exemplifying the various
        orthographic traditions had even been published, let alone analyzed.
        Jersey City

      • Tom Verenna
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 2, 2011
          I'm aware of copy errors as they are quite easy to prove within a text. However I am not sure I am persuaded that one can argue that a whole document is produced from memory. Perhaps one might argue that a text might be 'contaminated' by memory inclinations, whence through the process of copying a text over an over might produce. Like when a student, who light copy a quote from a poet, might stop looking at the text he is copying and include the line or verse from memory, perhaps slightly skewing it. But can one adequately argue for memory? I think that one would be hardpressed to argue convincingly that particular case. But then again, I am just waking up, and have not yet had a cup of coffee, so perhaps I am not yet alert enough to grasp the argument.

          Thomas Verenna
          Philadelphia, PA

          Sent from my iPhone

        • Jack Kilmon
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 2, 2011
            Good morning, Tom:
            I am just finishing my first cup of Jamaican Blue Mountain. I agree with
            you. Having just finished reading each column of the scroll, except for
            errors of omission and repetition, 1QIsa(a) is "dead on" to the later
            Masoretic text. Although one of the Isaiah scrolls may have been an
            "exercise" and perhaps from memory, the Great Scroll was
            penned...er...reeded...for use and halakha would have forbidden using
            memory. A "memory scroll" would not be such an accurate proto-Masoretic
            example as is this one. The reproduction I am making is actually a
            reconstruction designed to look exactly as the scroll looked when the scribe
            wrote his last letter, so there will be no lacunae. Reconstructing the text
            in the lacunae falls perfectly in line with the MT. This is important to me
            since sheepskins are not cheap. This scroll, the original, not mine, was
            definitely not written from memory. There are marginal notes from editors
            for some of the parablepsy and some were missed by the editor(s).

            Jack Kilmon

            I'm aware of copy errors as they are quite easy to prove within a text.
            However I am not sure I am persuaded that one can argue that a whole
            document is produced from memory. Perhaps one might argue that a text might
            be 'contaminated' by memory inclinations, whence through the process of
            copying a text over an over might produce. Like when a student, who light
            copy a quote from a poet, might stop looking at the text he is copying and
            include the line or verse from memory, perhaps slightly skewing it. But can
            one adequately argue for memory? I think that one would be hardpressed to
            argue convincingly that particular case. But then again, I am just waking
            up, and have not yet had a cup of coffee, so perhaps I am not yet alert
            enough to grasp the argument.

            Thomas Verenna
            Philadelphia, PA

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jul 1, 2011, at 4:37 PM, George F Somsel <gfsomsel@...> wrote:

            > In the NT it is common to see errors which are either generated by errors
            > of the
            > eye or errors of hearing. One might skip a line because there is another
            > line
            > with the same ending (homoioteuleuton) or even repeat a line. On the
            > other hand
            > when the vowels began to iticize, i.e., coalesce into an "i" sound. Thus
            > there
            > are clues to what the cause might be for an an error, but evidence isn't
            > always
            > present. If one finds a passage which is similar in some respects to
            > another,
            > one might find some elements introduced from the other passage which would
            > then
            > indicate an error of memory.
            > george
            > gfsomsel
            >
            > … search for truth, hear truth,
            > defend the truth till death.
            >
            > - Jan Hus
            > _________
            >
            > ________________________________

          • Jack Kilmon
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 3, 2011
              Hi Victor:

              By “dead on” I did not mean letter for letter Masoretic style. There were no Masoretic texts of any Biblical Texts in the 2nd century BCE. I am talking about translational differences between the DSS scribe’s Aramaized Hebrew and use of matres lectionis at a time when there was no such thing as pointing or Masoretic texts. These are the orthographic differences of which you speak in a text that is absolutely astonishing, IMO, for its harmony to the Ben Asher and Ben Hayyim texts which also show primarily differences resulting from usage of matres and only three translation differences. Otherwise to call 1QIsa(a) a MT would be silly. They are separated by twelve centuries. There are a few interpretive differences. I think the scribe did use an exemplar text, made some mistakes of parablepsy which he himself as well as later editors corrected. That 1QIsa(a) was used as an exemplar for 1QIsa(b) is the best evidence for the praxis. For my own purposes I see nothing that will alter the manner I will reconstruct lacunae in the reconstruction.

              Jack

              Jack Kilmon

              How can you say the scroll is "dead on" to the MT? There are hundreds of orthographic differences which were studied years ago by Y. Kutscher and shown to be essentially "cribs" making the scroll readable to someone who spoke a later dialect of Hebrew. You are right that the scroll couldn't have been written from memory, but it wasn't simply copied out from an earlier version either. It was revised in the process of copying. It's basic text is of the MT variety, but it itself is hardly MT.

              Victor Hurowitz

              On Jul 1, 2011, at 4:37 PM, George F Somsel <mailto:gfsomsel%40yahoo.com> wrote:

              > In the NT it is common to see errors which are either generated by errors
              > of the
              > eye or errors of hearing. One might skip a line because there is another
              > line
              > with the same ending (homoioteuleuton) or even repeat a line. On the
              > other hand
              > when the vowels began to iticize, i.e., coalesce into an "i" sound. Thus
              > there
              > are clues to what the cause might be for an an error, but evidence isn't
              > always
              > present. If one finds a passage which is similar in some respects to
              > another,
              > one might find some elements introduced from the other passage which would
              > then
              > indicate an error of memory.
              > george
              > gfsomsel
              >
              > … search for truth, hear truth,
              > defend the truth till death.
              >
              > - Jan Hus
              > _________
              >
              > ________________________________

            • Brian Colless
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 3, 2011
                This thread has caused me to recall sitting in a Mishnaic Hebrew class
                at Sydney University more than 50 years ago.

                The teacher was Rabbi Israel Por(r)ush, I had been in a Latin class
                with his daughter Naomi, 5 years before that, and I always envied her
                sitting in the library doing Hebrew exercises (teacher was ECB
                Maclauren) with the Brown, Driver, and Briggs lexicon open in front of
                her. When I started as a language teacher in a secondary school I was
                finally able to attend Hebrew courses in the late afternoon.

                On one occasion my Rabbi was asked a question about the text of the
                DSS and MT; he paused, and remained silent for a while, then said he
                was running through the first page of Isaiah in both texts, comparing
                them.

                I never found out whether he had actually memorized the whole book of
                Yesha`yahu in those two editions.

                Brian Colless
                Massey University, NZ

                On 3/07/2011, at 2:55 AM, Jack Kilmon wrote:

                > Good morning, Tom:
                > I am just finishing my first cup of Jamaican Blue Mountain. I agree
                > with
                > you. Having just finished reading each column of the scroll, except
                > for
                > errors of omission and repetition, 1QIsa(a) is "dead on" to the later
                > Masoretic text. Although one of the Isaiah scrolls may have been an
                > "exercise" and perhaps from memory, the Great Scroll was
                > penned...er...reeded...for use and halakha would have forbidden using
                > memory. A "memory scroll" would not be such an accurate proto-
                > Masoretic
                > example as is this one. The reproduction I am making is actually a
                > reconstruction designed to look exactly as the scroll looked when
                > the scribe
                > wrote his last letter, so there will be no lacunae. Reconstructing
                > the text
                > in the lacunae falls perfectly in line with the MT. This is
                > important to me
                > since sheepskins are not cheap. This scroll, the original, not mine,
                > was
                > definitely not written from memory. There are marginal notes from
                > editors
                > for some of the parablepsy and some were missed by the editor(s).
                >
                > Jack Kilmon

              • victor avigdor hurowitz
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 4, 2011
                  The first chapter in the book of Isaiah is the haftarah for the Shabbat
                  before 9th Av and many people have it memorized, perhaps because it is
                  chanted customarily following the cantillation of the Scroll of
                  Lamentations, so it's no real big trick to look at the first column of
                  1QIs(a) while you're chanting MT Isaiah and noting differences. And
                  someone who had already committed MT to memory shouldn't have too much
                  trouble remembering the variants in the Scroll.
                  Victor Hurowitz
                  BGU

                • victor avigdor hurowitz
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 4, 2011
                    Dear ANE,
                    Ever since ANE went to YAHOO I have not been able to communicate by using
                    Microsoft Office Outlook. For some reason my address is rejected.
                    Yesterday I finally tried to register again and I was successful in
                    sending one letter to ANE. Today, a few minutes ago I tried again by
                    replying to Brian Colless, but again I was rejected.
                    I am writing at this very moment on the old Telnet program which is how I
                    always used to communicate with ANE. What must I do to register again with
                    the YAHOO?
                    Thanks,
                    Victor Hurowitz
                    ANE
                  • Robert M Whiting
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 4, 2011
                      On Mon, 4 Jul 2011, victor avigdor hurowitz wrote:

                      > Dear ANE,
                      > Ever since ANE went to YAHOO I have not been able to communicate by using
                      > Microsoft Office Outlook. For some reason my address is rejected.
                      > Yesterday I finally tried to register again and I was successful in
                      > sending one letter to ANE. Today, a few minutes ago I tried again by
                      > replying to Brian Colless, but again I was rejected.
                      > I am writing at this very moment on the old Telnet program which is how I
                      > always used to communicate with ANE. What must I do to register again with
                      > the YAHOO?

                      Dear Victor (and others with similar problems),

                      By rejected, I presume you mean that yahoo sends you a message saying you
                      must be a member to post messages to the group. The most common reason
                      for this is that you are trying to post from a address that is not
                      registered with yahoo.

                      To fix this, go to the ANE-2 home page (or any sub-page) and click on the
                      link that says "Edit Membership" near the top of the page (just under the
                      advertising banner). This will take you to a page that contains your
                      optional settings for the group. Under "Step 1." there is a section
                      labeled "Email Addresses". Make sure that all the addresses that you may
                      want to post from are included. If not, click on the link that says "Add
                      new email address" and then add any additional email addresses. Once the
                      email address is registered, you should be able to post from it.

                      If this doesn't fix your problem, it may be specific to MSOutlook in which
                      case, since I don't use Outlook, you're on your own.

                      Bob Whiting
                      whiting@...