RE: [ANE-2] 1QIsa[a]

  • Stephen Goranson
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2011
      Millar Burrows, The Dead Sea Scrolls (1955) page 114:
      "He may have been writing from dictation or even from memory."

      Stephen Goranson
      http://www.duke.edu/~goranson

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2011
        I am preparing to make a reproduction/reconstruction of the entire scroll on
        sheepskin parchment so I have been studying the hand closely, including that
        of the editors. The only errors I have noted are omissions or repetitions
        of text indicative of copying from an exemplar and "losing ones place."

        Jack Kilmon

        Can someone from the Qumran experts, please, confirm or falsify me
        my feeling that someone suggested a hypothesis that 1QIsa[a]
        was not copyied from another scroll, but written from memory?

        If so, would You, please, point me to the appropriate sources?

        Thank You very much,

        Petr Tomášek,

        --
        Petr Tomasek <http://www.etf.cuni.cz/~tomasek>
        Jabber: butrus@...<mailto:butrus%40jabbim.cz>

        EA 355:001 DU DU DU DU
        EA 355:002 TU TU TU TU
        EA 355:003 NU NU NU NU NU NU NU
        EA 355:004 NA NA NA NA NA

      • Tom Verenna
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2011
          One has to wonder how anyone can determine that...

          Thomas Verenna
          Philadelphia, PA

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jul 1, 2011, at 12:15 PM, Stephen Goranson <goranson@...> wrote:

          > Millar Burrows, The Dead Sea Scrolls (1955) page 114:
          > "He may have been writing from dictation or even from memory."
          >
          > Stephen Goranson
          > http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
          >

          > ________________________________

        • George F Somsel
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2011
            In the NT it is common to see errors which are either generated by errors of the
            eye or errors of hearing.  One might skip a line because there is another line
            with the same ending (homoioteuleuton) or even repeat a line.  On the other hand
            when the vowels began to iticize, i.e., coalesce into an "i" sound.  Thus there
            are clues to what the cause might be for an an error, but evidence isn't always
            present.  If one finds a passage which is similar in some respects to another,
            one might find some elements introduced from the other passage which would then
            indicate an error of memory.
             george
            gfsomsel

            … search for truth, hear truth,
            defend the truth till death.

            - Jan Hus
            _________

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 1, 2011
              See Jack Kilmon's posting on the kinds of scribal errors found in the text --
              not the sorts of things that would occur in the process envisioned by Burrows.

              However, if you look at the context and date of Burrows's discussion, you'll see
              that he was speculating about the differences between the Isaiah Scroll's
              orthography and the MT, writing long before the texts exemplifying the various
              orthographic traditions had even been published, let alone analyzed.
              Jersey City

            • Tom Verenna
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 2, 2011
                I'm aware of copy errors as they are quite easy to prove within a text. However I am not sure I am persuaded that one can argue that a whole document is produced from memory. Perhaps one might argue that a text might be 'contaminated' by memory inclinations, whence through the process of copying a text over an over might produce. Like when a student, who light copy a quote from a poet, might stop looking at the text he is copying and include the line or verse from memory, perhaps slightly skewing it. But can one adequately argue for memory? I think that one would be hardpressed to argue convincingly that particular case. But then again, I am just waking up, and have not yet had a cup of coffee, so perhaps I am not yet alert enough to grasp the argument.

                Thomas Verenna
                Philadelphia, PA

                Sent from my iPhone

              • Jack Kilmon
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 2, 2011
                  Good morning, Tom:
                  I am just finishing my first cup of Jamaican Blue Mountain. I agree with
                  you. Having just finished reading each column of the scroll, except for
                  errors of omission and repetition, 1QIsa(a) is "dead on" to the later
                  Masoretic text. Although one of the Isaiah scrolls may have been an
                  "exercise" and perhaps from memory, the Great Scroll was
                  penned...er...reeded...for use and halakha would have forbidden using
                  memory. A "memory scroll" would not be such an accurate proto-Masoretic
                  example as is this one. The reproduction I am making is actually a
                  reconstruction designed to look exactly as the scroll looked when the scribe
                  wrote his last letter, so there will be no lacunae. Reconstructing the text
                  in the lacunae falls perfectly in line with the MT. This is important to me
                  since sheepskins are not cheap. This scroll, the original, not mine, was
                  definitely not written from memory. There are marginal notes from editors
                  for some of the parablepsy and some were missed by the editor(s).

                  Jack Kilmon

                  I'm aware of copy errors as they are quite easy to prove within a text.
                  However I am not sure I am persuaded that one can argue that a whole
                  document is produced from memory. Perhaps one might argue that a text might
                  be 'contaminated' by memory inclinations, whence through the process of
                  copying a text over an over might produce. Like when a student, who light
                  copy a quote from a poet, might stop looking at the text he is copying and
                  include the line or verse from memory, perhaps slightly skewing it. But can
                  one adequately argue for memory? I think that one would be hardpressed to
                  argue convincingly that particular case. But then again, I am just waking
                  up, and have not yet had a cup of coffee, so perhaps I am not yet alert
                  enough to grasp the argument.

                  Thomas Verenna
                  Philadelphia, PA

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Jul 1, 2011, at 4:37 PM, George F Somsel <gfsomsel@...> wrote:

                  > In the NT it is common to see errors which are either generated by errors
                  > of the
                  > eye or errors of hearing. One might skip a line because there is another
                  > line
                  > with the same ending (homoioteuleuton) or even repeat a line. On the
                  > other hand
                  > when the vowels began to iticize, i.e., coalesce into an "i" sound. Thus
                  > there
                  > are clues to what the cause might be for an an error, but evidence isn't
                  > always
                  > present. If one finds a passage which is similar in some respects to
                  > another,
                  > one might find some elements introduced from the other passage which would
                  > then
                  > indicate an error of memory.
                  > george
                  > gfsomsel
                  >
                  > … search for truth, hear truth,
                  > defend the truth till death.
                  >
                  > - Jan Hus
                  > _________
                  >
                  > ________________________________

                • Jack Kilmon
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 3, 2011
                    Hi Victor:

                    By “dead on” I did not mean letter for letter Masoretic style. There were no Masoretic texts of any Biblical Texts in the 2nd century BCE. I am talking about translational differences between the DSS scribe’s Aramaized Hebrew and use of matres lectionis at a time when there was no such thing as pointing or Masoretic texts. These are the orthographic differences of which you speak in a text that is absolutely astonishing, IMO, for its harmony to the Ben Asher and Ben Hayyim texts which also show primarily differences resulting from usage of matres and only three translation differences. Otherwise to call 1QIsa(a) a MT would be silly. They are separated by twelve centuries. There are a few interpretive differences. I think the scribe did use an exemplar text, made some mistakes of parablepsy which he himself as well as later editors corrected. That 1QIsa(a) was used as an exemplar for 1QIsa(b) is the best evidence for the praxis. For my own purposes I see nothing that will alter the manner I will reconstruct lacunae in the reconstruction.

                    Jack

                    Jack Kilmon

                    How can you say the scroll is "dead on" to the MT? There are hundreds of orthographic differences which were studied years ago by Y. Kutscher and shown to be essentially "cribs" making the scroll readable to someone who spoke a later dialect of Hebrew. You are right that the scroll couldn't have been written from memory, but it wasn't simply copied out from an earlier version either. It was revised in the process of copying. It's basic text is of the MT variety, but it itself is hardly MT.

                    Victor Hurowitz

                    On Jul 1, 2011, at 4:37 PM, George F Somsel <mailto:gfsomsel%40yahoo.com> wrote:

                    > In the NT it is common to see errors which are either generated by errors
                    > of the
                    > eye or errors of hearing. One might skip a line because there is another
                    > line
                    > with the same ending (homoioteuleuton) or even repeat a line. On the
                    > other hand
                    > when the vowels began to iticize, i.e., coalesce into an "i" sound. Thus
                    > there
                    > are clues to what the cause might be for an an error, but evidence isn't
                    > always
                    > present. If one finds a passage which is similar in some respects to
                    > another,
                    > one might find some elements introduced from the other passage which would
                    > then
                    > indicate an error of memory.
                    > george
                    > gfsomsel
                    >
                    > … search for truth, hear truth,
                    > defend the truth till death.
                    >
                    > - Jan Hus
                    > _________
                    >
                    > ________________________________

                  • Brian Colless
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 3, 2011
                      This thread has caused me to recall sitting in a Mishnaic Hebrew class
                      at Sydney University more than 50 years ago.

                      The teacher was Rabbi Israel Por(r)ush, I had been in a Latin class
                      with his daughter Naomi, 5 years before that, and I always envied her
                      sitting in the library doing Hebrew exercises (teacher was ECB
                      Maclauren) with the Brown, Driver, and Briggs lexicon open in front of
                      her. When I started as a language teacher in a secondary school I was
                      finally able to attend Hebrew courses in the late afternoon.

                      On one occasion my Rabbi was asked a question about the text of the
                      DSS and MT; he paused, and remained silent for a while, then said he
                      was running through the first page of Isaiah in both texts, comparing
                      them.

                      I never found out whether he had actually memorized the whole book of
                      Yesha`yahu in those two editions.

                      Brian Colless
                      Massey University, NZ

                      On 3/07/2011, at 2:55 AM, Jack Kilmon wrote:

                      > Good morning, Tom:
                      > I am just finishing my first cup of Jamaican Blue Mountain. I agree
                      > with
                      > you. Having just finished reading each column of the scroll, except
                      > for
                      > errors of omission and repetition, 1QIsa(a) is "dead on" to the later
                      > Masoretic text. Although one of the Isaiah scrolls may have been an
                      > "exercise" and perhaps from memory, the Great Scroll was
                      > penned...er...reeded...for use and halakha would have forbidden using
                      > memory. A "memory scroll" would not be such an accurate proto-
                      > Masoretic
                      > example as is this one. The reproduction I am making is actually a
                      > reconstruction designed to look exactly as the scroll looked when
                      > the scribe
                      > wrote his last letter, so there will be no lacunae. Reconstructing
                      > the text
                      > in the lacunae falls perfectly in line with the MT. This is
                      > important to me
                      > since sheepskins are not cheap. This scroll, the original, not mine,
                      > was
                      > definitely not written from memory. There are marginal notes from
                      > editors
                      > for some of the parablepsy and some were missed by the editor(s).
                      >
                      > Jack Kilmon

                    • victor avigdor hurowitz
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 4, 2011
                        The first chapter in the book of Isaiah is the haftarah for the Shabbat
                        before 9th Av and many people have it memorized, perhaps because it is
                        chanted customarily following the cantillation of the Scroll of
                        Lamentations, so it's no real big trick to look at the first column of
                        1QIs(a) while you're chanting MT Isaiah and noting differences. And
                        someone who had already committed MT to memory shouldn't have too much
                        trouble remembering the variants in the Scroll.
                        Victor Hurowitz
                        BGU

                      • victor avigdor hurowitz
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 4, 2011
                          Dear ANE,
                          Ever since ANE went to YAHOO I have not been able to communicate by using
                          Microsoft Office Outlook. For some reason my address is rejected.
                          Yesterday I finally tried to register again and I was successful in
                          sending one letter to ANE. Today, a few minutes ago I tried again by
                          replying to Brian Colless, but again I was rejected.
                          I am writing at this very moment on the old Telnet program which is how I
                          always used to communicate with ANE. What must I do to register again with
                          the YAHOO?
                          Thanks,
                          Victor Hurowitz
                          ANE
                        • Robert M Whiting
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 4, 2011
                            On Mon, 4 Jul 2011, victor avigdor hurowitz wrote:

                            > Dear ANE,
                            > Ever since ANE went to YAHOO I have not been able to communicate by using
                            > Microsoft Office Outlook. For some reason my address is rejected.
                            > Yesterday I finally tried to register again and I was successful in
                            > sending one letter to ANE. Today, a few minutes ago I tried again by
                            > replying to Brian Colless, but again I was rejected.
                            > I am writing at this very moment on the old Telnet program which is how I
                            > always used to communicate with ANE. What must I do to register again with
                            > the YAHOO?

                            Dear Victor (and others with similar problems),

                            By rejected, I presume you mean that yahoo sends you a message saying you
                            must be a member to post messages to the group. The most common reason
                            for this is that you are trying to post from a address that is not
                            registered with yahoo.

                            To fix this, go to the ANE-2 home page (or any sub-page) and click on the
                            link that says "Edit Membership" near the top of the page (just under the
                            advertising banner). This will take you to a page that contains your
                            optional settings for the group. Under "Step 1." there is a section
                            labeled "Email Addresses". Make sure that all the addresses that you may
                            want to post from are included. If not, click on the link that says "Add
                            new email address" and then add any additional email addresses. Once the
                            email address is registered, you should be able to post from it.

                            If this doesn't fix your problem, it may be specific to MSOutlook in which
                            case, since I don't use Outlook, you're on your own.

                            Bob Whiting
                            whiting@...