Re: Marriage in Funeral Rites?

  • Phoenix
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 4, 2011
      Hello,

      Here are a couple of examples of marriage/near-marriage after the death of one of the potential spouses-

      At the start of the Trojan War, Spartan Iphigenia is told she will
      be Achilles' bride, but she is slain as a sacrifice. She is later said to be his wife in the Underworld.

      Trojan Polyxena was to be married to Achilles (whether by the living Achilles' negotiation or the demand of his ghost). After he died,
      she was sacrificed to him by his son Pyrrhus, born by Deidamia.
      The death of Polyxena marks the end of the war.

      I wonder what the spirits of Helen of Sparta and Medea of Colchis thought, as they were also each reputed to be the wife of Achilles
      in the Afterlife.

      Herakles had to die as a mortal to wed the immortal Hebe.

      An interesting contemporary example is at this link:
      http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/02/11/1076388397691.html

      Apparently, in France one can have a posthumous marriage.

      The Mormon Church practices a form of this, too.

      The Chinese practice is called ghost marriage.

      Interesting topic!

      Be Well,
      Demetria Nanos, Chicago