JHS - New Article: Hava Shalom-Guy, "The Call Narratives of Gideon and Moses: Literary Convention or More?"

  • ehud
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2011
      Dear all,

      I am glad to announce the publication of the following article in the
      Journal of Hebrew Scriptures (http://www.jhsonline.org)

      Journal of Hebrew Scriptures - Volume 11: Article 11 (2011)

      Hava Shalom-Guy, "The Call Narratives of Gideon and Moses: Literary
      Convention or More?"

      Abstract:

      Comparison of the Gideon (Judg 6:11–24) and Moses (Exod 3:1–15) call
      narratives raises the question of whether they are different manifestations
      of the same literary convention—a biblical “type-scene” of appointment and
      investiture—or display literary dependence. I suggest that their affinity
      goes beyond the shared features of the call-narrative convention and argue
      that the author of the Gideon narrative deliberately created direct literary
      links between the protagonist’s investiture and that of Moses—the
      archetypical biblical leader—as a means of elevating Gideon’s stature.

      To access the article directly please go to
      http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/JHS/Articles/article_158.pdf

      Regards

      Ehud
      -----
      The printed version of volume 9 (2009) has been published. For information
      please go to
      http://www.gorgiaspress.com/bookshop/showproduct.aspx?ISBN=978-1-61143-004-2
      For information about the printed version of volume 8 (2008) please go to
      http://www.gorgiaspress.com/BOOKSHOP/pc-56678-10-ben-zvi-ehud-perspectives-o
      n-hebrew-scriptures-v.aspx

      For information about the other printed volumes of the journal, please go
      to:
      http://www.gorgiaspress.com/BOOKSHOP/pc-56678-10-ben-zvi-ehud-perspectives-o
      n-hebrew-scriptures-v.aspx

      The Logos version of vol. 8 has been released. For information please go to
      http://www.logos.com/product/8765/journal-of-hebrew-scriptures-vol-8. For
      information about the Logos version of vols. 1-7, please go to
      http://www.logos.com/products/details/4336.

      The Logos version of volume 9 of the journal is being prepared.

      Ehud Ben Zvi
      History and Classics
      University of Alberta
      2-28 HM Tory Building
      Edmonton AB Canada T6G 2H4

      ** This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to whom it is
      addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and/or privileged
      information. Please contact me immediately if you are not the intended
      recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action
      relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply,
      should be deleted or destroyed.**