Sumerian text

  • Miller, Robert
    Message 1 of 3 , May 18, 2011
      I am trying to track down information about a Sumerian text. The text was published in 1917 in Stephen Langdon�s Sumerian Liturgical Texts (Univ. of Pennsylvania Museum Publications of the Babylonian Section 10.2) as text #4562 �An Epical Poem on the Origin of Sumerian Civilization,� but I can�t find if it has been translated more recently. It is extremely fragmentary and has hardly any complete sentences (but a lot of toponyms). My interest is in obv., column 2, line 5: �la.�a.ma3 engur.ra �e.bi� (broken before and after), but I�d really just like to know of a modern edition of the text, if anyone has any ideas.

      Thank you.

      Bob Miller
      The Catholic University of America

    • Miller, Robert
      Message 2 of 3 , May 18, 2011
        Sorry -- the email system messed the font up on my Sumerian of my previous email -- basically "la.ga.ma engur.ra she.bi"

        Bob Miller

        Message 3 of 3 , May 18, 2011
          I believe this is the composition now known as "Enki and World Order".

          Langdon's text looks like line 186 of the ETCSL edition - la.ha.ma engur.ra 50.bi

          http://www-etcsl.orient.ox.ac.uk/section1/c113.htm#line182

          Ross Caldwell
          Unaffiliated
          Béziers, France