RE: [ANE-2] Babylonian calendar converter

  • Gent, R.H. van (Rob)
    Message 1 of 5 , May 17, 2011
      Dear Ian,

      Thank you for your interest in my calendar converter.

      Please note that at the moment my converter only duplicates the Parker & Dubberstein (PD) tables which were (largely) based on astronomically dated cuneiform tablets - not on Biblical sources.

      My revised version will not introduce much changes during the period covered by the PD tables.

      Some months may begin a day earlier or later (resulting from improved methods for computing the first visibility of the lunar crescent) and in a few years the month sequences will also change (due to erroneously assigned intercalary months by PD).

      As for your concern that my calendar converter will confuse possible users, it nowhere claims to give indisputable results. The source on which it is based is clearly stated and users are warned of its current limitations.

      Best wishes,

      Rob van Gent
      Utrecht University