Re: [ANE-2] Biblical Flora

  • thisquietplace@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9, 2011
      I've joined. Thanks!
      Actually I am VERY interested in that subject. I've often used it to try to
      discern later 5-8th century history as when Muhammad slaughtered a Jewish
      tribe who owned date palm orchards...the tribe fled to a fort on the shore
      of the dead sea. Flora is helpful in an attempt to ID significant
      historical locations. Most of that type of data seems to come from the Bible,
      Josephus or Herodotus.

      What a great idea!

      In a message dated 5/9/2011 11:18:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      tersus@... writes:

      Sorry for crossposting. But today I started a group for discussing the
      Biblical Flora. The link is _http://groups.yahoo.com/group/biblicalflora/_

      So everyone interested in discussing plants of the Bible join this group

      Jan Pieter van de Giessen
      Blog: _http://www.bijbelaantekeningen.nl/blog/_
      (http://www.bijbelaantekeningen.nl/blog/)

    • frankclancy
      Message 2 of 3 , May 9, 2011
        Michael Astour wrote "Ancient North Syrian Toponyms derived from plant names" in G. Rendsburg et. al. (eds) The Biblical World. New york, 1980. 7-56

        In case you do not know this paper. It was fun to read.

        Frank Clancy
        Waterloo