Biblical Flora

  • JP
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9, 2011
      Sorry for crossposting. But today I started a group for discussing the
      Biblical Flora. The link is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/biblicalflora/

      So everyone interested in discussing plants of the Bible join this group

      Jan Pieter van de Giessen
      Blog: http://www.bijbelaantekeningen.nl/blog/
    • thisquietplace@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 9, 2011
        I've joined. Thanks!
        Actually I am VERY interested in that subject. I've often used it to try to
        discern later 5-8th century history as when Muhammad slaughtered a Jewish
        tribe who owned date palm orchards...the tribe fled to a fort on the shore
        of the dead sea. Flora is helpful in an attempt to ID significant
        historical locations. Most of that type of data seems to come from the Bible,
        Josephus or Herodotus.

        What a great idea!

        In a message dated 5/9/2011 11:18:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        tersus@... writes:

        Sorry for crossposting. But today I started a group for discussing the
        Biblical Flora. The link is _http://groups.yahoo.com/group/biblicalflora/_

        So everyone interested in discussing plants of the Bible join this group

        Jan Pieter van de Giessen
        Blog: _http://www.bijbelaantekeningen.nl/blog/_
        (http://www.bijbelaantekeningen.nl/blog/)

      • frankclancy
        Message 3 of 3 , May 9, 2011
          Michael Astour wrote "Ancient North Syrian Toponyms derived from plant names" in G. Rendsburg et. al. (eds) The Biblical World. New york, 1980. 7-56

          In case you do not know this paper. It was fun to read.

          Frank Clancy
          Waterloo