Crocodile and Ancient Egypt

  • Fahri Dikkaya
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2011
      Dears,

      Evliya Celebi, an Ottoman traveler in 17th century, told a story about Egyptians had sex with crocodile in his travel accounts. Most modern scholars interested in his works have used this narrative to explain his problematic rationality. But when I took Ancient Egyptian Iconography course, our professor told that sexual relationship with crocodile in Ancient Egypt was common. She diplayed some wall paintings about that.
      I havent found any information about this sexual relationship in Ancient Egypt now. Andybody to help me?
      Thanks for your interest
      Fahri Dikkaya  Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey

    • Trudy Kawami
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2011
        Biologically, it's a little difficult to take the 17th century account as fact. :) What wall paintings did your instructor show? That is, what tombs or what region did they come from? Perhaps the images merely showed the crocodile-headed deity Sobek, and someone naively assumed the rest of the story?

        Trudy S. Kawami, PhD
        Director of Research
        Arthur M. Sackler Foundation
        461 East 57th Street