Magdala Excavations etc.

  • David Hall
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22 11:51 AM
      I recently visited the Magdala antiquities site above the NW shore of Lake
      Tiberias.  The excavation team has opened up an area west of the first century
      synagogue revealing the foundations and partial walls of a residential
      neighborhood.  The excavations were underway the morning I stopped there to look
      around.

      This October 2010 webpage summarizes some of the work there:

      http://tiny.cc/gzwp9

      The excavations of Siloam in Jerusalem have uncovered the eastern steps of the
      pool.  A Herodian street leading to the pool and a Herodian era drainage conduit
      under the paving stones have been uncovered also.

      I found an interesting museum next to Tel Dan called Beit Ussishkin.  They have
      the pottery from a Tel Dan Mycenaean burial and various Early Iron Age pottery
      on display.  The curator took part in the digs there and is fluent in English.
      The museum also described the geology, flora, and fauna between Mt. Hermon and
      the Hula wetlands.

      In Jericho I found the Italians have uncovered the double EBIII mudbrick
      defensive walls on the south side of Tel Sultan.  They labeled a series of MB
      ramparts including part of a stone wall that once extended to 5 meters in height
      on the signage they left behind.  This stone wall was uncovered in their Area A
      excavations.

      David Q. Hall
      Falls Church, Virginia