the journal History Research

  • jgibson000@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 6, 2011
      I've just been approached to submit an article of mine to a journal
      called History Research.

      The journal blurbs itself as follows:

      > /History Research /is an international, scholarly and peer-reviewed
      > journal (print and online) published monthly by David Publishing
      > Company, USA which was founded in 2001. The journal tries to challenge
      > the accepted disciplinary boundaries, and construct an open forum
      > which is to further the understanding of history with open attitude by
      > publishing articles of interest to historians and scholars of other
      > related disciplines.

      Does anyone here know anything about this journal? Is it reputable?

      Jeffrey

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 6, 2011
        I went to the home page of this David Publishing Company. They listed several journal, mostly related to China. The a warning popped up that the site is not safe.

        No word about History Research.
        It seems that there might be other companies of the same name (a David publishing Ltd with a UK address)

        Niels Peter Lemche

        I've just been approached to submit an article of mine to a journal
        called History Research.

        The journal blurbs itself as follows:

        > /History Research /is an international, scholarly and peer-reviewed
        > journal (print and online) published monthly by David Publishing
        > Company, USA which was founded in 2001. The journal tries to challenge
        > the accepted disciplinary boundaries, and construct an open forum
        > which is to further the understanding of history with open attitude by
        > publishing articles of interest to historians and scholars of other
        > related disciplines.

        Does anyone here know anything about this journal? Is it reputable?

        Jeffrey

        --
        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        Chicago, Illinois
        e-mailjgibson000@...

      • Stephen Goranson
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 7, 2011
          Though the company may have been founded in 2001, History Research, according to Worldcat, was founded in 2011, and no member libraries report holdings yet. Perhaps you could ask for a sample issue, if available. Worldcat:

          History research.
          2011-
          English Serial Publication Serial Publication : Periodical : Monthly
          Libertyville, IL : David Publishing Co.

          Stephen Goranson
          http://www.duke.edu/~goranson

          I've just been approached to submit an article of mine to a journal
          called History Research.

          The journal blurbs itself as follows:

          > /History Research /is an international, scholarly and peer-reviewed
          > journal (print and online) published monthly by David Publishing
          > Company, USA which was founded in 2001. The journal tries to challenge
          > the accepted disciplinary boundaries, and construct an open forum
          > which is to further the understanding of history with open attitude by
          > publishing articles of interest to historians and scholars of other
          > related disciplines.

          Does anyone here know anything about this journal? Is it reputable?

          Jeffrey

          --
          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
          1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
          Chicago, Illinois
          e-mailjgibson000@...<mailto:e-mailjgibson000%40comcast.net>
        • theodc25
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 7, 2011
            I have also been approached to submit an article. Their website seems slightly off, but it seems the journal is new and they are just trying to get started. If anyone else has any insight it would be appreciated.

            Owen Chesnut
            PhD Candidate
            Institute of Archaeology
            Andrews University

            --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, jgibson000@... wrote:

            > I've just been approached to submit an article of mine to a journal
            > called History Research.
            >
            > The journal blurbs itself as follows:
            >
            > > /History Research /is an international, scholarly and peer-reviewed
            > > journal (print and online) published monthly by David Publishing
            > > Company, USA which was founded in 2001. The journal tries to challenge
            > > the accepted disciplinary boundaries, and construct an open forum
            > > which is to further the understanding of history with open attitude by
            > > publishing articles of interest to historians and scholars of other
            > > related disciplines.
            > >
            > Does anyone here know anything about this journal? Is it reputable?
            >
            > Jeffrey
            >
            > --
            > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
            > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
            > Chicago, Illinois
            > e-mailjgibson000@...

          • Trudy Kawami
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 7, 2011
              Any reputable academic institutions in Libertyville, IL? That might give a clue to their interest & orientation.

              Trudy S. Kawami, PhD
              Director of Research
              Arthur M. Sackler Foundation
              461 East 57th Street
              New York, NY 10022
              212-980-5400 X25
              www.arthurmsacklerfdn.org

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 7, 2011
                How much are they charging you to publish with them?

                --
                +++++++
                Jim West, ThD
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 7, 2011
                  It's a very fashionalbe northern suburb of Chicago, but the official website
                  lists no institutes of higher education there and mentions colleges in nearby
                  towns.
                  formerly of Chicago

                • Mitch Allen
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 7, 2011
                    This is fascinating. Looks to be a Chinese company expanding into the US. Most
                    of their journals are in the hard sciences, business, and engineering. History
                    Research is not listed on their website. Nor are any journal editors so you
                    don't know who is reviewing your work.. And their publication instructions
                    mentions a publication fee, you pay for your article to be published.

                    I doubt that tenure committees will find publication in this journal
                    particularly compelling.

                    Mitch Allen
                    Publisher
                    Left Coast Press, Inc.
                    1630 N. Main Street, #400
                    Walnut Creek, California 94596
                    925.935.3380 phone 925.935.2916 fax
                    mitch@...
                    www.LCoastPress.com

                    ________________________________
                    It's a very fashionalbe northern suburb of Chicago, but the official website
                    lists no institutes of higher education there and mentions colleges in nearby
                    towns.
                    formerly of Chicago

                  • theodc25
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 7, 2011
                      Having looked through their website a bit more it seems as if they started with a US-China business journal and have added a number of journals in various disciplines.

                      Owen Chesnut
                      PhD Candidate
                      Institute of Archaeology
                      Andrews University