Re: Lead Codices

  • a8oct@btopenworld.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 5, 2011
      Dear Russell,
      I will try and clarify.
      1. I do not know what Elkington showed to Peter Thonemann, as I severed contact with him, very early on and warned Margaret Barker to be wary. Her expertise is not in question but I believe she has been misled.
      2. I have been told by Hassan Saeda that they were given to him by his grandfather and came from near the Israel/Jordan border.
      3. Yes this item is part of the cache and I have seen it. Whether it was copied from the museum, or the original funery display I cannot say. But, if the material is genuine, and the jury is still out on that, I date them to the 2nd century Bar Kochbar period so it would have been accessible to the original makers.
      4. Philip Davies is quoted in the newspapers and on the BBC as believing the material is authentic and very early Christian in origin. I do not know if he was correctly quoted. I have had nothing to do with the group Elkington consulted (apart from talking with Margaret Barker), so I do not know if Professor Davies has examined actual samples - although I would doubt it- he has probably only seen photographs of this particular item. They did, it appears have access to actual samples of some of the sheets.

      Hope this helps.
      Robert Feather, London

    • a8oct@btopenworld.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 5, 2011

        Robert Feather, London

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5, 2011
          Of course the report is copyrighted (and not by virtue of bearing the label
          "copyright" anywhere on it).

          The information contained within the report is not subject to copyright or to
          copyright restrictions.
          Jersey City

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 6, 2011
            What is interesting in this exchange of comments is the frequency of words like "believe," "believing", "would have been" (interesting conditional there), "have been told" and similar terms. There is no objective description of the corrosion products, no statement of the parameters of the tests, no mention of XRF analysis or any other commonly used & accepted analytical procedure for assessing the "life" of a piece of metal. Instead we appear to have scholars of religion and language who couldn't tell cast metal from hammered (let alone copper alloy from lead) hoping/believing something is authentic - bad science (& bad logic). Add to this the approach of the Easter season, you can see the red flags of super-hype flying.
            Willing suspension of dis-belief is fine for the theater, but really inappropriate in scholarship.

            Trudy S. Kawami, PhD
            Director of Research
            Arthur M. Sackler Foundation
            461 East 57th Street
            New York, NY 10022
            212-980-5400 X25
            www.arthurmsacklerfdn.org

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 6, 2011
              This appears to be a case where someone with a BA in art is promoted to an
              "archaeologist" and a "religious archaeologist" and an "Egyptologist" by the
              press. No one with any credentialed expertise in any of the disciplines
              required to analyze these things, Semitists, materials analysts,
              paleographers, or a real, genuine, fedora wearing archaeologist, has been
              asked on the "team" headed by a guy who analyzes things through earth's
              vibrations. They appear to me, from the few pictures I have seen, to be a
              mosaic harvested from epigraphy and ancient coinage. I am sure the book and
              the film, probably already under contract with Simcha, will "expose" a
              conspiracy among scholars to suppress the the "greatest discovery since the
              Dead Sea Scrolls."

              Jack Kilmon
              San Antonio, TX