Lead Codices

  • a8oct@btopenworld.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4, 2011
      Some of the articles about 'Lead "Jesus Tablets" Discovered in Jordan:' that are appearing in a number of news outlets are very misleading and tantamount to journalistic sensationalism. The people claiming to be the first to announce discovery of the Lead Codices are simply not telling the truth. I released information in a March 2010 article in Yidioth Arahanoth, the Israeli daily, and again three weeks before an unofficial group started putting out 'stories', I provided information for an article in the Jewish Chronicle of 4th March 2011 and again for The Mail on Sunday article by Nick Pryer, published on 3rd April 2011. The metallurgical work on trying to assess the age of the metals was performed under my guidance with Dr Peter Northover of the Oxford Materials Service and the results are copyrighted.
      Claims that the text refers to Jesus and the Book of Revelations are also highly speculative. These are Hebrew documents, almost certainly dating to the 2nd century CE Bar Kochbar period.

      Professor Philip Davies, and Dr Margaret Barker have expressed the view that the materials are genuine. More information will be released in due course, as we have no intention of hiding the information from the academic and scholarly world or the public. We do need to be cautious, however, as to their authenticity, until more tests are completed.
      Robert Feather, London
    • RUSSELLGMIRKIN@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 5, 2011
        Dear Robert Feather,
        Perhaps you could definitively clarify some questions that have come up
        about these Lead Codices.
        (1) Is this the same cache described by David Elkington in a letter to
        Peter Thonemann of Oxford University as “ancient metal codices... comprised of
        lead and copper”?
        (2) Could you clarify their origin? According to David Elkington, the
        Bedouin who brought them to his attention said his father found them in northen
        Egypt. Another report claims they were uncovered in a newly opened cave
        about five years ago. A third report says they had been in the possession of
        a certain Jordanian Bedouin family for about a hundred years. Which, if any
        of these, is the definitive version? Which versions have you been told,
        and under what circumstances?
        (3) Does this cache of Lead Codices include the copper codice with an
        image of Alexander’s head, a crocodile, and a Greek inscription running along
        the top that David Elkington brought to Peter Thonemann’s attention for
        evaluative purposes? Thonemann determined that the inscription (
        “ΛΛΥΠΕΧΛΙΡΕΛΒΓΛΡΟΚΛΙΕΙΣΙΩΝ”) translates to the phrase ‘without grief,
        farewell! Abgar also known as Eision’ and was lifted verbatim from the second line
        of a funeral inscription of 108/109 AD on display in the Jordan museum.
        See his discussion at

        _http://danielomcclellan.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/peter-thonemann-on-the-lea
        d-cod\
        ices/_
        (http://danielomcclellan.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/peter-thonemann-on-the-lead-codices/)

        _http://paleojudaica.blogspot.com/2011_03_27_archive.html#745436907824774675
        4_
        (http://paleojudaica.blogspot.com/2011_03_27_archive.html#7454369078247746754)
        (4) Is this the same set of codices that Philip Davies has expressed grave
        reservations about on the biblical studies news group? According to BBC
        reporting, Dr Margaret Barker has stated that they could be unique evidence
        of Christian activity as early as 33 AD "if the books are genuine." Is it
        possible that you are overstating their opinions on the authenticity of these
        codices?
        _http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-12881931_
        (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-12881931)
        Best regards,
        Russell Gmirkin
        Portland, OR

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5, 2011
          What does it mean to say that the results of a metallurgical analysis are
          "copyrighted"?

          Jersey City

        • a8oct@btopenworld.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 5, 2011
            Dear Russell,
            I will try and clarify.
            1. I do not know what Elkington showed to Peter Thonemann, as I severed contact with him, very early on and warned Margaret Barker to be wary. Her expertise is not in question but I believe she has been misled.
            2. I have been told by Hassan Saeda that they were given to him by his grandfather and came from near the Israel/Jordan border.
            3. Yes this item is part of the cache and I have seen it. Whether it was copied from the museum, or the original funery display I cannot say. But, if the material is genuine, and the jury is still out on that, I date them to the 2nd century Bar Kochbar period so it would have been accessible to the original makers.
            4. Philip Davies is quoted in the newspapers and on the BBC as believing the material is authentic and very early Christian in origin. I do not know if he was correctly quoted. I have had nothing to do with the group Elkington consulted (apart from talking with Margaret Barker), so I do not know if Professor Davies has examined actual samples - although I would doubt it- he has probably only seen photographs of this particular item. They did, it appears have access to actual samples of some of the sheets.

            Hope this helps.
            Robert Feather, London

          • a8oct@btopenworld.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 5, 2011

              Robert Feather, London

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 5, 2011
                Of course the report is copyrighted (and not by virtue of bearing the label
                "copyright" anywhere on it).

                The information contained within the report is not subject to copyright or to
                copyright restrictions.
                Jersey City

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 6, 2011
                  What is interesting in this exchange of comments is the frequency of words like "believe," "believing", "would have been" (interesting conditional there), "have been told" and similar terms. There is no objective description of the corrosion products, no statement of the parameters of the tests, no mention of XRF analysis or any other commonly used & accepted analytical procedure for assessing the "life" of a piece of metal. Instead we appear to have scholars of religion and language who couldn't tell cast metal from hammered (let alone copper alloy from lead) hoping/believing something is authentic - bad science (& bad logic). Add to this the approach of the Easter season, you can see the red flags of super-hype flying.
                  Willing suspension of dis-belief is fine for the theater, but really inappropriate in scholarship.

                  Trudy S. Kawami, PhD
                  Director of Research
                  Arthur M. Sackler Foundation
                  461 East 57th Street
                  New York, NY 10022
                  212-980-5400 X25
                  www.arthurmsacklerfdn.org

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 6, 2011
                    This appears to be a case where someone with a BA in art is promoted to an
                    "archaeologist" and a "religious archaeologist" and an "Egyptologist" by the
                    press. No one with any credentialed expertise in any of the disciplines
                    required to analyze these things, Semitists, materials analysts,
                    paleographers, or a real, genuine, fedora wearing archaeologist, has been
                    asked on the "team" headed by a guy who analyzes things through earth's
                    vibrations. They appear to me, from the few pictures I have seen, to be a
                    mosaic harvested from epigraphy and ancient coinage. I am sure the book and
                    the film, probably already under contract with Simcha, will "expose" a
                    conspiracy among scholars to suppress the the "greatest discovery since the
                    Dead Sea Scrolls."

                    Jack Kilmon
                    San Antonio, TX